EBF 9 mo, starting more solids, need a little help

My DS is 9 mos today, he has had solids here and there for the last month or so, but today seemed especially interested. So. I opened one of the Gerber foods we had for him, peaches, and he is done! It was a first foods. Should he be one 2nd or 3rds? It just seemed to easy. Not sure how to explain it. He is crawling, pulling up and cruising along things and can stand alone for a few seconds. I am lost as to which stage for him!

clovismommy25

Asked by clovismommy25 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is new to solids and you don't knwo the allergies I would stick with stage 1 or the stage 2 that are single ingredients until he has tried all single foods. THIS way you can watch for allergies.

The stages on babyfood is stupid, because most babies can sit before BF babies are started on solids. Theres no reason to hurry with baby food. Til 12 months its just desert and by 12 months it should only be 25% of your babies diet.

Nurse before every bit of solids, a full nursing, THEN give solids. I would do one serving a day everday til he is used to it...since you started with peaches 3 days til you try something new...stick with the peaches, THEN try another food for 3 days and you can do peaches and that other food...then add the 3rd new food.

Stage 3's are for babies that are used to solids and are ready to grind and chew their foods..usually closer to a year like 10 months or so..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If he's crawling, they have now "stages" on the Gerber babyfood, for instance supported sitter, sitter, crawler, etc. I believe crawling is in 3rd stage foods, but if you think that's too big of a jump try the 2nd food. My 8 month old is eating table food and 3rd foods but she's been experiencing with it since 6 months.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• he has 2 teeth on bottom, thought I would ad that.

Thanks!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• thanks!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• ...i agree with tabi_cat1023 about the stages on solids. Alicia (9 months now) started on 1st foods at about 6months. According to Gerber's "stages", 2nd foods are for sitters, 3rd foods are for crawlers, right?... Well she sat up one day, and began crawling the next day last month... I started giving her 2nds last month and will be changing to 3rds...
    egriffin1231

Answer by egriffin1231 at 4:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2009