Did you get emotional and cry when your firstborn started Kindergarten?

Yesterday was my son's first day of Kindergarten. Up until now, he just had one year of preschool only going twice a week for half-days. Now, he's in school every day, all day long. I was a mess dropping him off yesterday and even today. He's a big boy now and all I want to do is cry. Don't get me wrong, I am so excited for him to be starting school, learning new things, and meeting new friends. But, at the same time, I can't help but be sad that such an awesome chapter in my life, being a SAHM to him, is over now.

Am I alone in this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in

• its ok ro cry but i wouldnt let my child see it though
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 3:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

OP HERE:
    I agree with you. I did NOT let him see me. I don't want to be emotional in front of him stressing him out in the process. I showed my excitement for him...he actually did very well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I cried when my oldest started Kindergarten, and again when he started first grade. My youngest started Kindergarten today (they do stagger start at our school), and I cried today too. It's hard to let them go, but we have to. As much as we might want them to stay babies forever, they have to grow up (or so my boyfriend, mom, dad, and best friend keep telling me. I'm still looking for a pill that will transform them back into babies. lol).
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes. I bawled after I put my oldest son on the kindergarten bus (3 years ago- he will be in 3rd grade this year). My daughter will go to kindergarten this year (she starts Sept. 11th) and I am sure I will cry when that bus pulls away. My youngest son starts kindergarten next fall. More bawling (and I will probably cry when I drop him off at his first day of pre-K THIS fall). Wow. I am in for a lot of crying!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 3:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I balled like a baby when my first one went to kindergarten. I cried in front of everyone. My son is the one that came up to me and said it would be okay and I didnt have to cry he would see me at dinner. Of course i started to laugh and so did everyone there but i cried all the way to work. I will probably cry when my second and third go too it just means they arent my baby anymore and they are getting a little more grown and dont need me that much any more. It also means i'm getting older and soon they will be gone. Then i can buy myself a sports car.
    jennylynne2003

Answer by jennylynne2003 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Most people cry. I had a bounce in my step! So happy to see his little butt walk down the hallway. But I later worried about him on the playground, etc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I didn't cry. I was just excited and cheering her on as we waited for the bus to pick her up. She was a little nervous since we were new in town and she had never been to school or ridden a bus or anything. It was a grand adventure.
    Yesterday she started the 4th grade. It goes pretty fast. She wasn't even nervous at all this year. She just got in line with her friends. So did my son going into 2nd grade. The only one nervous this year was my 1st grader.
    Next month my youngest starts preschool. She's 3. I can't wait. I get a whole hour to myself once a week and 1 hour with just me and my husband (that's after she goes to school and before the other kids get out).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I absolutly cried the day i registered him for kindergarten. I waited until the day before to get him all registered and then I asked if there was going to be an orientation or anything. When they said no I lost it. They of course thought it was funny. But first grade no way and now were starting second grade and i couldnt be more thrilled. Still got a few more years for my dd since shes only 6 months lol well see if i cry then.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 5:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• In all honesty, I missed my first born's first day ever of school. Not by choice, but by obligation to someone else. I had to take an emergency flight home to see my grandmother on the other side of the country. She was dying.

Within hours of one another, my daughter was starting her life journey out in the world as my granny's was ending. It was hard on me NOT being there.

But when I myself got to put her on the bus for the first time, it was really hard. She was growing up. No longer "needing" me like before. She at that point became her own independent person.

So, as soon as she got on that bus and it took off, I fell apart. Within a couple of hours, I was fine. But I had to take about a week to adjust to the change.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2009