Should she have apologized?

My stepdaughter is in the 9th grade. The other day during gym she was signing a form on the line that clearly stated she was supposed to sign. Well, first the gym teacher accused her of forging her mothers name, then when SD told her she was signing her name beside her dad's because that's what the paper said, the teacher was very hateful and told her "well if you would have read the paper you would have seen that you were not supposed to sign it". SD didn't argue with the teacher, even though she knew she was in the right by signing the paper, and handed it over to the teacher. About 5 minutes later the teacher handed the paper back to my SD and said oh yea hear you do have to sign this. I was like WTH? I thought she should have apologized for number one...being hateful, and number two accusing my SD of not reading the paper in the first place. I have the utmost respect for teachers, they have a hard job, but sheesh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in

• Yes. While I agree that teachers need to be respected, they also (especially as the kids get older) need to treat the kids with respect. Once children reach a certain age they are going to start asking "why do I have to be respectful to someone who is not the same way?" Once they hit that age, teachers are going to be viewed as hypocritical. Not good if that teacher wants respect in the class. Yes, the teacher should have apologized and I, as a parent, would remind the teacher of that fact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Your daughter learned a lesson at that teacher's expense.

Shooting off your mouth before you know what is going on makes you look like an ass.

That teacher will never apologise, I can tell just by her attitude.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 3:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with 07upsydaisy. The teacher will never say she's sorry, but I would take this chance to sit down with your daughter and remind her that this is why she should always be sure of herself before she questions someone else on what they are doing. Tell her she's just seen a perfect example of what happens when someone assumes they know what is going on and ends up looking like a fool later.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• That teacher would be saying she is sorry to her in the principals office with me there and the principal there.
    jennylynne2003

Answer by jennylynne2003 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with Jennylynne. I'd have an uncomfortable chat with that teacher so you can explain you DON"T appreciate her attitude and hopefully next time she'll do better with a child. Screw it man, teachers need to be accountable for their actions as much as a kid.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Your SD did a great job!!!!!! She knew she was right and yet she still stayed respectful. Some people will never apologize when they are wrong, I would just let it drop. If you make a big deal out of this, it may mean more trouble for your SD from the crabby teacher.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I dont agree with tyfry. When that teacher apologizes you let them know that you will be watching them and trust me they will back off your SD. I had this problem last year from a teacher who monitored the lunch room, she didnt even teach my son. the first time i was nice and called her and we had a little chat. the second time she was in the pricipals office and appologized to my son and myself. when she was done with that i told the pricipal that if his wacked out teacher ( and those were the exact words i used) had another problem with my son i would be taking up with the district. teachers are not perfect. i believe my son over any teacher. and i will back him all the way if he is in the right.
    jennylynne2003

Answer by jennylynne2003 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009