Old school advice.... what do you still believe in?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I'm Mexican American and we have A LOT of old school myths haha. Like my sister believes in everyone in the book. She squeezes my daughters head so that she doesn't get traumatized when she falls back and hits her head. There is also the one where you aren't supposed to cut your hair or your nails when you are pregnant because your child will be blind. If the baby opens it's eyes during their nap they say that they are remembering that they were awake a few mins ago haha. Just a whole bunch of weird lame things like that. The only one I like is the one when the baby is sleeping and smiles they say they are sleeping with the angles. I know that's not true but I think it's super cute.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Santa and being nice to everyone.
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• this is inspired by a posting where someone said not to have a fan on a child, as it would give them a cold. *sigh* In 2009 I assumed people understood a cold is a virus and fans typically don't have runny noses/illnesses... at least in my home.

Like do people really think these things? Or like going out with wet hair, waiting a long time to swim after eating, etc?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• What goes around comes around. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all (though I don't always stick to that lol). Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My friend thought her son was sick because he did't have a blanket on one night. "he got cold" so he got a cold. Didn't believe me when I told her that's not how it works. She's chinese, so I dont' know if it's culture or what becuase he mom and MIL were adimit about her having the blanket on the baby. She even set the alarm to get up several times a night to make sure he was covered and OK. He's two. She finally stopped that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The power of love

Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My mom is the coolest women in the whole wide world...believed it when I was 5 years old...believe it to this day!
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 3:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• a balenced diet is a cookie in each hand
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Respect has to be earned and cannot be forced on anyone, even children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Good old fashioned living where families still eat together, go to church with one another.
    Where the kids can go outside and play and no one gets molested, kidnapped or killed.
    When abortions were considered only when it meant there was a high death risk for the mother.
    Married couple were a man and a woman and then they stayed married until 1 passed on.
    Where the Public Schools still held up looking decent, said pledge of allegience to the God of this nation, respected the flag and later became good citizens of the country.
    There was no such thing as aids and other sexually transmitted disease that could not be cured.
    Dads worked and came home after an 8-10 hour shift. Moms that worked were able to do something out of the home and got to be there for their families.
    Withes and pagans were considered the strange one on the outskirts of towns.
    Homosexuality was so rare that it was hardly even noticed.
    There was no CPS
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009