To working moms who breastfed...

I will be going back to the work world when my LO is about 3 months

I will be working 4 hour shifts so maybe split shifts up to full-time or just one shift of 4hrs and part-time....

my employer said if I dont have a client I can bring my baby in and breastfeed if my fiance will bring him, but I probably will only do that if he is having an increadibly hard time with him.

Well, I will be pumping like crazy the whole 3 months I have to stay at home, so I can build some sort of supply in the freezer, and so I can have more lactation.

So, do you have a "system" for defrosting and using frozen breast milk?

Do you store it in little "servings" so you can take out close to what you need or do you store it in whatever amount you can?

How long does it take to defrost and does your SO/DH cooperate with the system when he has the baby? babysitter if haf 1

What type of nipple do you use for the bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I work full time and my 28 r had formula...month old is still nursing and never AND hubby is a SAHD...

I stored in 2-3 oz sections, since a baby needs 1-1.25 oz an hour while you work. BUT keep in mind if you nurse before leaving and you only work 4 hours...leave a 2-3 oz bottle for 1/2 way and nurse when you get home..it would be perfect. I always stored in 2-3 oz sections no matter what. A BF baby can overfeed from a bottle...so you have to stress with daddy not to overfeed.

I stored either in bags or bottles, but they can be thawed as needed by running warm/hot watter over them and swirling...no shaking it ruins nutrients in BM(still better than formula though)

NO bottles when home, except for maybe the one time to try them out...and its best if you aren't anywhere aroung..heck run an errand baby will take that bottle. Theres NO such thing as bottle training them, its a myth.

My son preferred the wide nipples
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I used the NUK nipple for the bottle. It really helped b/c it was already conformed to my child's mouth. As for defrosting BM, I did it under warm/hot water. Or, I put the frozen breastmilk in a coffee cup of really hot water. You'll be surprised at how fast it defrosts. I would say about 5 minutes.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 3:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Its great to have a supply up before going back to work. I froze it single feeding portions, little storage bottles and the pouches... I forget how much they take at 3 months, maybe 4 or so ounces? My LOs went to daycare, so I would take the frozen bottle or pouch out the night before and put in the fridge, then for feeding time they would warm it up in hot water...but thankfully, my kids didn't need it super warm to take it. Is there a comfortable/private place for you to pump while you are at work? Also, make sure LO is used to taking a bottle from someone else before you go back...start that around 4-6 weeks. It all works out somehow, you'll be fine. I used to HATE pumping at work, such a pita, but now every time I go into our filing room (aka, the pumping room, lol) I think about how I sat in there with a good book for 20 minutes every couple hours for MONTHS and I actually miss it, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I use avent bottles. I always put the frozen bag in a warm bowl of water. You shouldn't ever microwave it. It doesn't take long to defrost. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Hi. I work full-time. When I went back, I pumped twice a day and kept the milk in the lansinoh frozen bags. I took it home each day (kept it in the fridge at work in a lunch bag) and put it into bottles for the next day. We used Dr. Brown's but now we just use Gerber bottles. I have the Medela pump and then started just keeping the milk in the Medela bottles so that's what I do now. We transfer it into Gerber bottles in the morning. It is not frozen, just cold. You can leave it in the fridge for about 7 days. When it was frozen, we had to defrost a whole Lansinoh bag at at a time. We put it in a glass of hot water to defrost. Each day, I pumped enough for two bottles at daycare the next day.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• i always frooze 4once or what ever i got from both breast and took it out of the freezer the night befor,its good up to an hour once its warmed.also befor i went back to work,i would get up early in the morning(when ur suply is greatest)and pump then.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009