Do you think the parents should be held responsible for how prepared for life they children are?

Paying bills, laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• UHM yes. that's all apart of being a parent - preparing them for what's to come for them in the future.
    My parents taught me these precious life lessons a number of ways. Chores, allowances and by example. I remember my first job I got when I was a senior in high school my mom would help me budget my paychecks so that I could learn what it was to save a portion of my check instead of blowing it; to mention I was responsible for paying for the cable bill. I learned how to cook from watching my mom and older sisters; cleaning too and those chores came in handy with all that as well.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY.... That's one of the biggest responsibilities as being a parent...
    luv4adrianna

Answer by luv4adrianna at 3:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Well duh. But at some point they are responsible for their own actions. My mom never taught me how to eat healthy, but as an adult I've decided that i DO want to eat healthy and i take the necessary steps to make it happen.
    My DSS's BM doesnt pay her childsupport and hasnt called in over 6 months. Can i blame that on her mom? I think not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• yes!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, but the kid needs to meet the parent halfway there during the learning process. My husband is 24 and his friggin mother is still managing his money (OUR money) and bank account. He's had the option to remove her more than once but neither of them can cut the apron strings. It's damn pathetic. Luckily, being in the army, he has had to learn to do his own laundry and clean, although now I do it anyway since I'm a sahm, but atleast he can. It's up to the parents to teach and the kids to learn, imo.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I say yes...My parents kicked me out at 17 and I was TOTALLY unprepared for the real world. I didn't know how to manage money, how to shop, how to do taxes, one thing that screwed me up the most was i didn't understand the value of your credit, now my credit is down the potty- and I never even had a credit card! I wish I was better prepared, and taught those things, instead of learning the WRONG way on my own. I don't like blaming them, because it was partially my fault for being a brat, but I think part of having children is taking the bad with the good, and loving them anyways.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• They do, but only to a point. If they never even tried to teach the child those things, then yes, they are responsible for how prepared or unprepared the child is. But there comes a point when it is the child's responsibility to take the lessons their parents have taught them and put them to practical use. My mother taught me how to do laundry, clean house, cook, and manage money. If I let my laundry pile up, my house get filthy, eat Mickey D's for every meal, and blow my paycheck on junk, that's not on my mom, that's on me. I don't do those things, b/c I choose to use the skills my mother taught me, but some people don't. Some people choose to ignore everything they were taught or raised to believe, think, or do, and that cannot be held against the parents.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes they are my mom showed me how to cook but was financially a mess and never told me about credit.
    I would say that a parent teaches by example and the kids will follow up to a certain point then they begin to do their own thing.
    I'm not going to neglect my daughter though. She just turned 18 and I took her to the bank and she was taught alot by the banker and myself about credit and paying debt and bad checks.. I asked her what the most important thing in an adults life is, she said" Jesus". I told her aside from that it is your credit! I wish I was told all that I taught my daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes. but of course some kids have learning disabilities or mental disabilities that make such things extra difficult. I have two sisters. Two of us are normal, have jobs, pay bills, etc. My other sister has filed for bankruptcy, can't live on her own because she doesn't pay her rent, etc. We all grew up in the same house, so how is this possible? There are such situations that make it difficult to pin blame on the parents. The world is not so black and white.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I WASN'T TAUGHT HOW TO WASH CLOTHES PAY BILL'S DO ANYTHING SO WHEN I MOVED OUT IT WAS A BIG SLAP IN THE FACE! I HAD TO LEARN FROM SCRATCH AND NOW WHEN I SEE MY SISTER SHE DOESN'T DO ANYTHING FOR HERSELF(21 AND DOESN'T WASH HER OWN CLOTHES DISHES ETC) AND SHE STILL LIVES AT HOME!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2009