When did you change car seats?

From a rear facing infant car seat to a up right toddler car seat? and what kind of car seat is best?

nessa4555

Asked by nessa4555 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• When the children turned a year we switched from rear facing seats to the Britax convertable seats. We gave them their new seats for their birthday!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We turned her around at a year old and she will be in that sit til she is 35 lbs then she will be booster sit till she is old enough that the law says she no longer has to be in a sit any longer.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My youngest three were all about 3 years old. We waited until it was safer. I would rear face longer if we had the seats for it here in the USA. My sister's 9 year old was paralyzed in a car accident at 14 months old. Had he been rear facing his neck would not have snaped in the accident. She didn't know this back them but she is a hard core advocate for extended rear facing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I turned her forwardfacing at about a year old and she was 20 lbs. She started not minding as much being in the car seat and she looked uncomfortable with her legs against the seat when she was rear facing.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 3:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Our 20 month old is still rear-facing (it is 5x safer) but he switched from his infant seat to a Radian convertible seat when he was about 11 months. Its awesome, it can RF until he reaches 40lbs and can harness him unitl he's like 65lbs which will keep him soo much safer.
    reelo

Answer by reelo at 3:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I switched mine from the Graco infant seats (with the seat you can carry around) at about nine months...moved them to an Evenflo Triumph Advance- it rear faces 'til 35 pounds...my DD is two now and will RF 'til 35 pounds

you do not have to spend a lot of money to keep your child safe...any seat that RF 'til 35 pounds is fine as long as it is installed correctly...you can keep your child harnassed longer also...do your research http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739 this is a great sight
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• "I turned her forwardfacing at about a year old and she was 20 lbs. She started not minding as much being in the car seat and she looked uncomfortable with her legs against the seat when she was rear facing."

I'd rather my child have a broken leg than a broken neck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2009