Son Stole Father's I.D To Buy Alcohol

My dh kept finding that his drivers license would go missing and then magically be back in his wallet the next day. This went on for about 2 weeks and then we found out it was his 15 y/o son taking it. We couldn't figure out why he would take it, until we found out yesterday that he had used it to buy beer and cigarettes a handful of times at the gast station. Dh is 31 and him and step son look so much alike, that he was able to pass off the I.D as his own.
I am wondering where we go from here? Should we call the police and let them know, do we call the gas station? Just take care of the matter at home? Need some advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would have DH put his wallet somewhere not hidden, but in plain sight and open so he can see his license that way it is immediately known if it comes up missing again. Punish his son and take him to the store he was buying at and tell them in front of him "see this kid he is 15 and if he tries to buy beer and cigarettes here again call the cops". Make it clear that he has no more chances and if the license comes up missing again you will call the cops. If the store seems to blow it off when you go in call the police anonymously and tell them you know they sold beer to a minor on several occasions and hopefully they will do one of those stings where they send in a minor.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I can't believe a 15 year old could pass for a 31 year old, that's insane!

Does that gas station have foreigners running it?

They could get in a lot of trouble, i'd honestly punish my son and not the establishment, but i would go down there personally and tell them what was happening. based on their reaction i would consider reporting them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Does that gas station have foreigners running it?

Wow that was a little racist right there. An old white lady who can't see very well could have also done it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would contact the police and the store where he is purchasing the booze
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Wow I am just dumb founded. that child would be grounded until he was 18 and ya I would call the cops and just have them scare that child a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• lol, well foreigners that don't read, write or speak english well have a lot of gas stations

that's not racist. i didn't say i hated them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• i would not call the cops. dont involve the system in your childrens life because once their in you cant get them out, trust me i know. and they may think you arent the best of parents for not knowing when or where your child is when hes getting drunk and smoking. go tell the people at the gas station if you want so that they dont sell it to him anymore, tell you son this is not acceptable but i wouldnt be too harsh on him .. hes just growing up. i started drinking when i was 13. i couldnt help it. i was bored, and thats what all my friends did. tell him he can have a beer or two occasionally with you and his dad, but you dont want him out drinking because he could get in trouble. or punish him if you think its necessary.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The first thing I would do is keep that wallet under lock and key so this did not happen again. It is definitely a character issue with the son, and that is the part that should be dealt with. To punish him for this one wrong doing will not get to the root of his problem. If this is the first time he has done such a thing, I might tend to be lenient with him. If this is an established way of his to handle things, then I might report him to the police and let them handle it. If character is ever to change, there have to be consequences for bad behavior. If he allowed himself to be talked into this by some bad friends, then I would speak to him about how the choice of our friends is either conducive to our having strong values or having our values compromised to the level of theirs. The consequences in that case would be that he can no longer have these friends. The goal is a change of character. Think in those terms.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• i couldnt help it?
    Right, you couldn't help it

tell you son this is not acceptable but i wouldnt be too harsh on him .. hes just growing up.
    Are you serious?

tell him he can have a beer or two occasionally with you and his dad,
    OK are you what? 17ish?

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Military School is always and option!!! JK He want's to act like an adult maybe he should go to school full time, work full time and then decide if he is ready for all that comes with it!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009