marijuana while pregnant?

a friend of mine smoked marijuana the whole time she was pregnant and her baby seems to be fine. and her doctor knew she smoked it. i was jus wonderin if it is okay?? i dont plan on doin it, im jus curious...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my sister smoked throughout her pregnancy, as did two of my old roommates. The only baby born with low birth rate was from the one girl who also smoked cigarettes.

There's not gonna be an "it's okay" answer, but it is more common than people think... My boyfriend tries to get me to smoke sometimes, I personally refuse.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The baby seems fine now but it could have health problems as it gets older such as asthma, chronic illnesses all the time. So just don't do it to be on the safe side. Just because someone else does it doesn't mean you should.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It is hard to get good data on what the effects are because no one admits that they do it. I do know people who have smoked MJ during pregnancy and their kids are fine. But I also know people who smoked cigs and drank while preg whose kids turned out fine, so I'm not willing to make my babies guinea pigs for that particular experiment.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• What do you think..really? Do you really have to ask this? Of course it's not ok...it never is! Your friend was stupid..and her baby is lucky then. Not all babies are, I have a stupid friend whos baby isn't so lucky. Just because the baby "seems" to be fine now doesn't mean he won't have problems later. Also I doubt the doctor knew...cuz if it were true and he were a good doctor he'd report her to DSS...WOW
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• i took one hit of a bowl while i was pregnant because i was depressed and stupid. my son is fine. but i still feel guilty and would never do it again and wouldnt reccommend it. your children should be able to choose what they have in their body and i dont think marijuana is good for anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My mom smoked weed when she was pregnant with me. Here i am, alive, healthy, and bright.

But would you let your infant smoke pot? What about your toddler? Young school aged, like 7-10yrs old? ...if not, then you probably shouldn't smoke it either.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• thanks but jus to let yall know...i said "I DONT PLAN ON DOIN IT, IM JUS CURIOUS." im doin everything i can to try to have a healthy baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• i honestly dont think it's worth the risk. smoking anything, you are inhaling carbon monoxide and tar. and thc can slow down growth. I have friends who smoked during their entire pregnancy to help with "morning sickness" and they backed up their decision based on studies done on rastafarian women. but I mean really..come on. my friends are caucasion, not from a 3rd world country and the studies might have been done on only a handful. the smell alone made me nauseaus so i never went near the stuff while I was preggo (my roommates smoked a lot and soon were kicked out into the shed to smoke). if you really want it in your system, ingesting it is probably healthier. but do some research first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• to be honest, there are no birth defects related to marijuana, & i was surprised to learn this in my psychopharmacology class. ALTHOUGH, they have not conducted a long term study yet, so it is still risky.

The major defect w/ smoking marijuana, is the same one would get from smoking ciggarettes. ALTHOUGH, they would have to smoke a few times a day to get this kind of defect.

I would strongly advise against it. It's for the safety of your child & you just never know what could happen to him / her in the long run

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009