How do your teens get up in the morning? Alarm Clock? You?

My teen is a pain in the A// to get up in the morning, alarm does not wake him and I have to go in many times for him to get his A// out of bed. What do you guys do? What would you do? I thought about letting him sleep and suffer the consequences on his own.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• He needs to go to bed earlier.

Mom are you gonna be there to get his butt out of bed when he has to go to work or better yet college? He is a teen time to act like one don't you think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• to both..the alarm and then I wander back to make sure they are up...they know if I have to go back and rattle cages that their bed time goes back a half an hour
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Ours have used an alarm clock since the 2nd grade. No problems so far.
    If I had your problem I would go in flip on the light, stereo, turn the tv up in the living room, make as much noise possible. And refuse to let him shut his door! I would do it every morning until he figures out he must get up on his own. Oh and make him go to bed earlier, with the door open.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No matter when my DS (16) goes to bed he gets up the same as yours-he sets an alarm or two but they don't get him up I have to keep going in there to get him out of bed! But I am the same way, the alarm is blaring, I hit snooze a few times and hubby is practically pushing me out of bed! We are not morning people!

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• With my daughter I have to wake her up she sleeps right the alarm clock . But it's on in her room for her though. on trhe other hand my son wakes up with the alarm clock. But I still have to go back to his room to make sure he's getting ready for school and not just still there lying awake in his bed. I do the same thing ,if I see that getting up in the morning is hard for them then they go to bed 15 minutes earlier the following night.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Alarm clock

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Both. It just depends on what has gone on the day/night before and just how tired he was when he went to bed.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Mine get up, dressed, and eat all on their own with an alarm clock. I am not a morning person, they are old enough to be on time and ready for the bus. I make breakfast at night for them, (waffles, pancakes, etc) and they heat them up and go. Its sooooooo much easier than when I had to get them up when they were younger :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 7:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Ice water.. you will only have to do it twice and I can guarantee that they won't be hard to wake again. I always had to have 3 different alarms because i'd either sleep through them or turn them off in my sleep and my mom would still call me for an hour before i'd get up.

My friends mom told her a trick one day (the ice water) and she tried it... yeah... I woke up when I heard my second alarm going off.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my teen (he is now 22) had to be in his room by 9PM, lights out at 11PM on school nights. he HAD to get himself up I had my own thing to do in the morning.......he was told if I HAD TO GO AND WAKE HIM UP HE WOULD HAVE A GLASS OF ICE COLD WATER DUMPED ON HIM.........I only had to do it once. from then on he was able to get himself up......hhhmmmm imagine that...once he knew I was not going to keep knocking on his door and that my method was not fun he was able to do it himself 100% of the time.

I knew in the future he would have his own place and if he thinks Mommy is going to call him everyday at 7AM to wake him up at 30 years of age....he nuts!!! he had to learn to take responsibility for himself.....

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2009