Will you make your kids pay for their first car?

My parents bought me my first car, a 1994 T-bird. It was $2000. Looking back, I kind of wish they would have made me buy it myself. I would have appreciated it more instead of trashing it.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depends on the child. We bought my daughter her first car...we also pay for the gas and the insurance...however she must maintain her GPA. She is a very good responsible kid and her "job" right now is graduating and getting ready for college.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Mine are no where near that age...but I know that it will depend not only on our financial situation, but also, their responsibility level. That will be the deciding factor if they get a car or not.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 3:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I STILL DONT DRIVE BECAUSE I WAS A TWIN SO THEY COULDN'T PAY FOR US BOTH TO HAVE A CAR AND THEY COULDN'T DRIVE US BOTH TO WORK ...SO I ENDED UP GETTING PREGNANT AND I MOVED ETC ....AND I STILL DONT DRIVE ....SO I WILL MOST DEF BUY MY DAUGHTER HER FIRST CAR BUT SHE WILL HAVE TO PAY HER INSURANCE AND IF SHE DOESN'T RESPECT IT ...IT WILL BE TAKING AWAY!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No, i will not make them pay for their first car, as long as they are doing good in school. my first car was bought for me, it cost $1500 and i also trashed it, but it was a learning experience because when i went without a car until i could get a new one, i made sure i didnt trash anymore cars and i want my kids to have their own learning experiences also.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I will buy them there 1st car but it's the only one I will ever buy them. If it gets trashed they will go with out a car until they buy their own.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 3:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• yep. i will make them buy their own car. I might help them some how. Depends on the child and how well off we are as a family. But they will definitely appreciate what they have earned.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm not buying any of my kids cars. I don't even have my own car. We are and have pretty much always been a 1 car family. I doubt anything changes by the time they are teens. Besides, walking/biking is healthier.
    I didn't have my own car until I met my husband when I was 22 and didn't actually own my own car until we bought our van in 2001. By then I had been married a year and a half and had a 1yo and a new baby on the way.
    Growing up we mostly had just one car and in high school definitely only one car. I didn't drive (no where to go) but my brother had to learn to share with both of my parents. He didn't get his own car until he was in his mid-20s.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Our son is turning 13 on August 31st and we bought him his first Jeep about 6 months ago. My Husband and son are going to take the engine out, rebuild it, then work on the body, and when they're finished it will be his first wheelin rig (rock climbing). We have a family wheelin rig and our son loves it. So we told him if he puts in an equal effort to help every step of the way he will have it when he's 16. In order to keep it he will have to get a part time job to pay ins and upkeep when he's 16. We will do the same for our other 2 when the time comes.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• i say they will work for it.. they bought me all my cars till i moved out and i would also have gave it more thought not to tear the dang thing up..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes but it will probably be some sort of "matching" set up...the kids work for "x" amount and I will give them "y"......I was given an old car that barely worked but me driving it didn't help. If I had spent my own money that I had worked hard to earn I probably would have taken more pride in it and not driven it to pieces! Plus the kid has more of a say when it's partly their money.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 4:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009