Excessive daydreaming

I need help because this is affecting my life. I started daydreaming when I was younger; I believe, because of the dysfunctional household I lived in. However, as an adult it's like I cannot control it. I can be doing something simple like ironing and all of a sudden several minutes later, I find myself "snapping back" into reality and I'm like, "Shoot, I was daydreaming again?" Two dangerous situations: I was doing it once while I was driving and "woke up" just before I hit the back of this SUV. I had my son outside because he likes to walk and run up and down the street and I "fell" into a daydream. When I looked up, he was very far up the street. Help me. I don' t need harsh criticism; I need help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Health

• This has been such a part of my life I don't even fight it anymore. I was reading Dr Wayne Dyer's book Excuses Begone and he says to Be Mindful. That means pay attention and stay focused during certain times like driving and watching your son. It will be challenging but it can be done.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Get checked for adult onset ADD......
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 4:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• First you need to honestly think about what you daydreaming about and figure out why. Then you can start to change it. Do you sleep well and dream at night?
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, I sleep well and dream at night. My dreams are very colorful and I usually remember them all. You think it may be adult ADD? Or stress?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It could be a stress mechanism. Is it like you're just not there, or do you remember what you're daydreaming? If it's like you are actually blacking out, you should ask a doctor and find out if it is serious. Daydreaming is one thing, blacking out is something completely different, and could be a sign of something not being right with your body.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009