How much of my vacation/PTO time should I save for when I go back to work?

Okay here is my deal. I'm taking 8 weeks off. I will have 3 weeks paid to use for the whole year. I can take some, all or none of it during the 8 weeks. I pretty sure that I will need a week of it for a vacation, so that pretty much leaves 2 weeks. Should I take one of them during my leave, or save them both for when I get back? I just don't know how many days I will end up needing for her if she gets sick or something. My boss has already informed me that he will no be happy with me taking unpaid days off if I used all of them during my leave. Sorry if this is confusing, I just don't know what to do.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think you should discuss this with your boss. Let him know you want to do whatever will be best for everyone, but you really don't know what that will be. Let him know what you are thinking and ask if he agrees. If it is an option to make up time when you have to miss, then maybe you could promise to make up any days you have to take in excess of your earned PTO days. It's possible that he has been burned before by paying all of someone's PTO only to have them come back and need lots more time off. Some new moms focus on their new baby so much that they ignore all other obligations. I have seen many very responsible employees become unreliable after having a baby and then expecting everyone else to take up their slack (you don't sound like this). You might also plan on having your husband take off some sick days with the baby if you end up needing more than you expect (my husband and I often take 1/2 day each).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Well I would say take at least 2 of your PTO weeks cause most jobs don't have paid maternity leave and you'll be living off of disability, which only pays up to 60% of what you normally make. I would talk to your boss and get things clerified because if he is saying that you can't take any more time off than what you're given than I personally would be looking for a new job cause you NEVER know when or how long a baby will be sick for, or any other emergencies for that matter.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009