15 month old sleep habits!

I am a pediatric nurse and i still don't know the answer to this question. My 15 month old has been sleep in the bed with me and my husband since she was born, i cannot get her to sleep in her own crib in her own room. I have tried everything, and she will cry for 7 hours if i let her. I have tried moving the crib in our room, putting a tshirt or pillowcase in her crib, ive tried putting her in there for naps, i've just about tried everything and she will not do it, she will just throw a fit and cry. I give in because i know that she needs her sleep, and she's cried for seven hours before...so HELP!!

maddoxsmommy605

Asked by maddoxsmommy605 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was the same way and is till a little difficult. My husband while I was with him insisted on having her in bed if she woke up at all at night and then sometimes just went to bed with her in bed. After me and him split I started having her sleep in her crib, she would scream if I just laid her in there, so I started letting her fall asleep in bed with me then putting her in her crib. Now she is in a toddler bed and I put her in her bed and sit next to it while she falls asleep, I play lullabyes, i read to her when I put her in bed, make sure she brushes her teeth (which she loves, she has flavored toddler toothpaste so she thinks its a treat), she also gets a bath every other night. Transitioning to the toddler bed made her not mind bed as much and the routine helps as well. Why not switch to the toddler bed? then put a baby gate across the doorway and make sure the room is safe. thats what i do, its much better now
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 5:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree w the girl above, if she is old enough to transition the crib to a toddler bed do that. And stay in the room w her until she falls asleep. It took 15 months for her to be completely accustomed to sleeping with someone....it may take a month or more to get used to being on her own in bed. If it's real bad, put a twin mattress on the floor and sleep in there to begin the transition? IDK what to tell you other than that.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• man I have the same problem. 16m and she won't sleep for anything including naps! I kinda want to switch to a bed, but I also know how stubborn she is and am 100% confident that she would just start banging on the door. She'll cry for hours as well. We're still putting her down in our bed and don't know what to do. We tried a modified CIO and she just screamed and was actually traumatized- she was so easily upset and crying during the day so we stopped. She just recently cut out naps so I'm at my wits end. I'm going to get a bunch of sleep books at the library and hope for the best!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Our toddler bed is next to our bed. Works good. She may fall asleep with us but shortly thereafter is in her bed, thanks to me. I'm trying to correct that, but my point is... She NEVER slept in a crib, I think it was the bars that freaked her out, b/c as soon as the toddler bed came along she was cool with it. And I let her put mickey and minnie asleep in it ... seemed to get her used to it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009