Do you think that USA Elementary Schools know when a student is living in the country illegally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There are so many illegal documents that it is so hard to find out. We have to take the word of the parents. They come to school with SS #, green card, proof of residence with light bill or rental agreement, and register. It is not the job to search this down at the school level. I don't know what the obligation of the school is to report suspected illegals. These are usually the students who behave the best. They do their work and don't get in trouble because they don't want anyone visiting or calling their home. They "fly under the radar".
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes.
    wikem81

Answer by wikem81 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't think so the only thing that is needed to place a child in school is a birth certificate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes. I had to have DS's birth certificate and social security card to enroll him in school. I think they absolutely know.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• SS cards and birth certificates can be made...I don't think they know for the most part.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 6:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would say in most cases, yes.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 6:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• How is it that in west Texas kids cross the border to attend US schools? They do know. The schools get funding for every child that attends. They get extra funding for low income / free lunch programs to feed the kids of low income families. When a state of emergency is declared, the schools still have to hand out those lunches so that they can keep their funding, so they hand them out in parks to the homeless. Money from education is spread throughout the communities, even the one's they aren't supposed to serve.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• "I don't think so the only thing that is needed to place a child in school is a birth certificate. "

If they're illegal they're not going to have a US birth certificate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• "If they're illegal they're not going to have a US birth certificate. "

But that doesnt mean that theyre not illegal.

As for the question, i'm not sure, OP.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I meant to say that they ARE illegal*
    BEXi