Revelations - Christian

Do you believe the book of Revelation is to be taken literally?
Why or why not?

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 5:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Holy Bible is full of parables and examples and no it is not possible to take all of it literally, more so seriously than literally. Revelations talks a about a beast. Do I think that literally a giant, monstrous beast is going to rise up? No, but I do know it means something is going down. lol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, absolutely. If God didn't intend for EVERY word of the Bible to be taken literally, He would not have given it to us through His prophets, Apostles, Disciples, and Jesus Himself. Yes, most of the regulations of the OT was done away with when Jesus came,and the New Covenant was formed. However, He still intends for us to take Him at His word. His word is good, kind, loving,and always in our best interest. I for one, LOVE the book of Revelation. We studied it a few years ago, and it was obvious the enemy didn't want us to. First, our teacher had a heart attack,the week after we started, then our Pastor was hit with kidney stones.Then the holidays came,and we took almost a year to get through it. There would be times we were studying,and the sound system would go on the fritz for no reason whatsoever. The enemy knows he LOSES at the end,and we WIN! He doesn't want anymore to know that that already do.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• When I was a child I went to a Pentecostal church.  They showed a movie about the 2nd coming.  In that movie the world had computers that read the number.  These were on cash registers.  If that is the case if this movie was based on the book of revelation then I know I missed it.  Here we are using computers for everything.  I also got to thinking well I could have missed it look at what is happening in the middle east.  I think we need to know that we are dealing with the last days but I don't think I missed the second coming. 

robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I believe there are many aspects which are literal and many which are symbolic, and many which are both.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Parts of it are literal, but parts of it are symbolic in nature. It is all in the style of language in which each passage was written. Some were written in a literal language, others in a figurative or parable style- we have to read it based on that, not on how we think it sounds in English, which an incredibly limited language.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes its literal unless it says otherwise and yes there are parts that it does say it is not literal. If you want to know more go to this website and watch the Omega Course. It talks about everything end times but do what Mike tells you.. research what he said yourself! I like that! :-) http://ihopkcfreeonlinearchive.ning.com/video/video
    I have all the notes except number 7 if you want copies let me know I will tell you where you can download them from. I think I uploaded them on to Mediafire but not sure.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Like the rest of the Bible, Revelaion has a "literal sense" to it - there's a meaning and message that the author is trying to convey and understanding what that is the basis for understanding the Bible. The message John is giving us in Revelation is to stand firm in your faith! The focus isn't about the future coming of the end of the world. John used imagry to teach about the struggles Christ and His followers have. John tells us that God triumphed over evil through Jesus Christ and we must let God triumph through each of us as we follow in Christ's footsteps. This is a message for all generations, not just the end times.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If it is in fact real, I believe it's meant to be allegorical.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I believe it to be the literal word of God. God spoke through men and they wrote as they were directed. He used a variety of languistic styles including figurative language.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes absolutely..the Bible is our road map for living..and dying. We need to take Revelations seriously....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009