I was wondering if of the thousands of cases of Autism reported these days....How many of these children are the "first generation" who has Autism in the Family?

If anyone can help with information of statistics. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• First for us. My brother was a late talker but that's as close as we get. My son has lower functioning autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• For my Autistic niece it runs in family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son if the first generation. I've never heard of Autism or perhaps I didn't pay enough attention before. But I know for sure back 3 generation my son if the first in the family. My mother had 8 siblings, I have 5 siblings. My husband says that of 8 generations our son is the first one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We're fairly certain my son is at least second generation, possibly third for Aspergers.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• When my friend's son was diagnosed with Aspergers, my friend and his wife had never heard of it. Now it's obvious that his father, great uncle, and sister all have the same "quirks", and would have been diagnosed today. Before they were just considered odd.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son is the first generation.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son is diagnosed with PDD-NOS. My husband and his father (my father-in-law) are not diagnosed, but I am sure they would be if they were to seek a diagnosis- they both have some of the red flag behaviors and both have stims. They are like 3 peas in a pod!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 8:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think this may be a difficult question to answer because for many generations there wasn't the spectrum of Autism there is today. Many people were just given other labels because Autism was thought of as closer to mental retardation. Even then, Autism wasn't well known until about the 1960's. the term was used before that (as early as 1900 I think), but it was associated more with schizophrenia. So most families really probably don't know. Many people function very well with some forms of Autism and you'd never really guess without really observing them closely. So there are older people out there that probably had it on some level and just never knew and learned coping mechanisms to help them get through life.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• anime mom619,
    You just saved me a whole lot of typing! The guidelines for autism have changed so much. It encompasses a wide range of behaviors. I know a few mom that have recently realized they have autism. Sometimes autism is quite subtle.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009