I can't keep up...

I breastfeed my 2 month old, and she recently started eating 3-4 ounces. I have to pump and feed her through the bottle, and I can't seem to keep up. It was fine when she was eating like 2-2.5 ounces, I could pump 2 bottles at once, but now I have to pour both bottles together to get enough for her to eat.. so i'm stocking up on half the amount of milk, and I feel like I can't keep up. I am going to keep going as long as I can.. but I don't want her to starve..so I am considering supplementing... I just feel so bad. I know 2 months of breast milk is better than none, but it just makes me feel so guilty if I were to switch. Did this happen to anyone, and what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My milk started to increase once I started pumping and nursing more. I also drank Fenugeek tea which did wonders for my supply! Good luck, I know it can be difficult but you have done it for 2 months and that is awesome!
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 6:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I only breastfed for about a week, but a lady that I work with did both. During the day she would breastfeed then at night she did formula so the baby slept better. Dont feel guilty if you have to supplement. There are so many good formulas that are pretty good. I use Similac and its worked for my son and my now 1 week old.
    brandidy56

Answer by brandidy56 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I breastfed and then would add half of the total amount with formula. I did this from day one as my DS was never satisfied.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son is 6 weeks old and I wanted to exclusively breastfeed him but my milk supply hasn't been enough to keep him happy. I am not working right now so I try to breast-feed him as much as I can during the day and supplement with formula. I know it's a hard transition, my son is taking 2-3 bottles of formula a day and breast feeds during the night. I also try to pump every so often to reduce the amount of formula he drinks if we are going to be out for most of the day. He is eating 4 ounces every meal. Stick with it, it's hard but don't feel guilty.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• A Bf baby needs 24-30 oz of BM a day..thats IT. A baby can overeat from a bottle. Nutritionally your baby needs 24-30 oz..never more than 35 oz even during a growth spurt.

There are tons of ways to make more milk...the best is to pump every 2 hours round the clock, but also eat oatmeal, drink mothers milk tea, 9-12 fenugreek pills daily, and pump pump pump...if baby will nurse at all nurse that baby
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• OK. There's a lot of Q&A that I'd like to do with you and cannot do it here...danged character limitations in posts!

Can you drop byt hte Breastfeeding Moms groups for loads of help?

If you feel too shy, then you can message me.

This is REALLY fixable.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009