Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I afford to go back to school?

I am a recently divorced mother of 3 girls, I have been applying to jobs since March and have not had any luck. I do not have a degree of any sort. I never thought I would find myself in this situation ever.. but here I am. I am now worried that the utilities ect will now be turned off before another child support check arrives. I had to take my daughter to the er and she had to have physical therapy.. which was costly.

I would like information if any of you can help me on how to go back to college so that I can better our lives. It seems to be the only way I am going to get a decent job.

Please do not think for a second I want to go on PA.. but I am a 40 year old woman with 3 kids and finding a job has left me very stressed. And if it means my kids eat or not.. I think you would do the same.

Ty in advance for any polite and useful information.

Answer Question

Asked by mommi69 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I would apply for student loans and Financial Aid right away. I'm sorry about your daughter getting hurt....but you do realize your ex husband is responcible for HALF the medical and physical therapy costs! I'd send him copies of the bills and a notarized letter (send it with signature confirmation) and request he pay half of the bill, if he doesn't, take him to court!

    As far as working while going to school, you need something, anything, yes I know jobs are hard to come by but even a part time job at McDonalds or a grocery store is a paycheck.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • I'm not sure why ppl don't want to utilize a resource (*any resource, even PA) when it's there for them. It's not charity. Your x will have to pay it all back so it's merely a loan to get through your rough time. It will cover medical expenses, food and may even help you find a good paying job. They have resources to help ppl. I would not hesitate to use it if I needed to use it. It could help pay rent while you went to school. You can apply for grants for school. Go to or go to the school of your choice and get a financial aid application. Do what you have to do to get by until you get on your feet.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • I agree with Mom2Jack04...the ex is responsible for half and good luck...If you need PA, then at least you sound like you don't want to rely on it for long...if you have to go on it, that is what it is there for don't be ashamed of can always work your way back off of it.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • Start with a community college; the classes will be reasonably priced, many will be online, and the credits will easily transfer to a state university. The financial aid office at the school is a great place to start.

    FastWeb is a good starting place to look for scholarships:

    Your clergy person may be able to point you towards scholarships offered in your religious community.


    Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • i am in community college right now. Go to your local community college, you will need your HS diploma of GED and around $30 to enroll, then you will take placement tests which take around 2 hours, then you need to go to the financial aid office with your tax returns and they will help you fill out FASFA which is financial aid. if you have children, and no income but child support, the state WILL most likley pay for EVERYTHING, i have one child & no income and they pay for everything. so once you get that figured you out, you will go to the advising office and they will tell you about the different programs and degrees and help you register for your classes. BTW, you dont have to do this all in one day. and my community college even has a daycare! and some degrees you can get in 2 years! good luck!! if you have any questions, message me!

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • and if by chance financial aid doesnt pay for everything, you can take out student loans that dont need to be paid back until after you graduate. this semester, since my financial aid is paying for everything, im take student loans anyway just for my other expenses like rent, etc.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • Definitely look into getting financial aid (start w/, which includes grants, and student loans. Look into what kind of school you might want to go to. Do you want to attend classes in person or would you rather do online classes?

    My DH and I both decided to go back to school this year, taking online classes. We decided it would be worth the expense since earning degrees will (hopefully) give us a better chance at getting better paying jobs. We are both kind of stuck at dead-end jobs. The pay is ok for not having a degree, but we know there's better out there.

    Personally I think doing online classes is the best way to go because its easier to fit into your work schedule plus you don't have to leave your house (which means you don't have to find a sitter, if your children are still young enough to need one).

    Answer by mama2conor at 1:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

  • Thank you all for your kind words and your advice.. I have applied for my FAFSA and received full amount.. I will meet with the school soon to see about getting the rest of it paid and what kind of programs are out there.. I do have to go for PA unfortunately, but will end it asap as well. If one child being hurt was not enough.. the other was at her dads this past weekend and feel off a log and has a broke wrist now, when it pours it rains I tell ya.. Maybe God is trying to tell me something.

    Answer by mommi69 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.