I am teaching a classes at a community college about easy auto maintenance and repair shop scams. What are some of your horror stories about repair shops?

favourauto

Asked by favourauto at 6:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I went in to get my oil changed and they told me I couldn't drive my car anymore, because the axel was cracked.
    They didn't wnat to pull my car out of the garage for me to leave!

I had to threaten to call the POLICE before they let me leave. (the axel was fine by the way)
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 7:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My hubby and I were on our honeymoon and our truck severely overheated. Since neither of us are mechanically inclined, we pulled into a small town where we were told by the mechanic we needed $700 worth of repairs, that the head (whatever that is) was cracked. We ended up not getting it done, we talked to my dad who told us to limp it along to the next city where we had some family and could get a second opinion. We drove that truck for 5 more years without any troublehaving never done the repairs that had been recommended.

canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• A mechanic told my great-grandmother once her car wasn't safe to drive because she hadn't rotated the AIR inside her tires.

I had one try to convince me once that my car "required" platinum Splitfire sparkplugs and that they cost $10 per sparkplug. Suddenly, the $40 tune up he'd offered in his ad was going to cost me over $150!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I took my car for an oil change at Midas, mind you I took my cars there for 5 years. They broke the Oil sending Unit (the part that sends the oil....ok you get it..) and I was driving to work the next day, and my car started sputtering, I knew it was gonna stall, but I was in a major construction catastrophe and couldn't pull over directly. I ended up having to push it a little ways to a side road.
    The damn oil leaks out of my car and seized my engine. I went back to Midas, used the word "lawyer" and got a newer engine. 6months later, 2 months after the car was paid off, the damn transmission went, and I sold the car to my neighbor for $500...what luck!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2009