Would you throw away clutter to make room for more useful things without asking husband?

I am very tempted, even pic albums have to go
Is this wrong?
he will be upset if he knew but he will never know ? if i shut-up.
What should i do we have a tiny house my child needs more space?

rainla

Asked by rainla at 6:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i would in a heartbeat. My dh is a huge packrat and keeps really dumb things. Like old cellphones from like 6 years ago. The other day he found some Cosmos that are 6 years old. I was like " Umm it has Buffy the Vampire Slayer on the cover" What the hell would someone want with that? Anyways he still has a suitcase that has clothes in it from the last vacation he took as a single man 10 years ago!!

He just told me that I have the opposite sickness that I throw away too much. lol
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• thats what im doing now and my husband doesnt care what i do to the house as long as its clean
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Not all at once...this is how I weed out his closet...I throw out 1 shirt per month and he never knows. If you just haul it all out it's gonna be noticed...Unless something is really important to him, I'd chuck it...photos, I'd just scan them all onto your computer
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• well i wouldnt not ask him. would you be upset? and dont throw away picture albums!! you'll want those! unless they dont have pics in them. but just go through what you wnat and what you dont want TOGETHER! lol that way you avoid a big arguement later on,
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 6:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I am always trying to downsize what we have. I don't tell my husband most of the time. I think the only time he really noticed was when he's stinky futon from college days disappeared but it was taking up so much room and we never used it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Don't throw away things that have meaning for your husband, picture albums may be one of those things, Perhaps if there are many albums, he'd go through them and pick out only those he wanted to keep. And mementos that he cares about, even if he doesn't look or even think of them much. In other words, no you shouldn't throw his things out. Perhaps you could gather what you want to get rid of into a box and let him go through it to see if there's anything he wants to keep or not. Perhaps, also, if you would set an example by tossing out any of your stuff that takes up room, maybe this would encourage him to do the same. Or if your place is too small for precious items, maybe a relative could store a couple boxes for you.

Answer by Bmat at 6:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My husband wouldnt care unless they were his things, I would put those aside for him and let him decide what he wants to keep.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• make sure the clutter isn't donatable or recyclable before you throw it away
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My hubby don't care as long as I don't touch the stuff in his shop.
    But I always pile the stuff I'm getting rid of and when he gets home from work I show him everything I'm throwing out.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I am constantly getting rid of things. My husband hasn't missed anything that has gone as of yet...he doesn't even know what we have to begin with. The rule is...If you haven't used it within 2 years, it's time for it to go!!!
    Mom_2_2_Girls

Answer by Mom_2_2_Girls at 6:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2009