Gardacil vaccine? Yes or no?? How do you feel about this vaccine?

I've given it to my 11 and 12 year olds, but wonder if it was the right thing to do.

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Educate before you vaccinate is my motto. I choose not to vaccinate. Just do your research.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I am delayed vaxing my 3 kids, and my girl will not get that one.
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 2:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Well the truth is, its too late now to worry about it, because they already have it. My oldest daughter is 8, and I am considering letting her get the vaccine when the time comes.
    6IrishKiddos

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 2:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• They'll be protected against HPV, which can be very damaging to their reproductive health... I think you did the right thing.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I believe in vaccinations for sure, but since it is very new, if I had a daughter that was pretty young 11-14 I would probably hold off a few years until there is a little more evidence in.
    I did not have my sons vaccinated against chicken pox because I didn't know the long term effects.(they did get chicken pox) I did get them the meningitis one though before all the facts have come in because I would certainly feel guilty if they contracted a life threatening disease that I could possibly have prevented.
    I love the vaccination in theory, I would just be suspicious until there is more data, I don't want my kids to be guinea pigs.
    But since you have done it already, I wouldn't lose sleep over it you did what you thought was right. And that is the best we can do!
    Krowla

Answer by Krowla at 7:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I greatly disagree with putting the ingredients in Gardasil into my children's bodies.
    The majority of women clear the HPV virus from their bodies naturally. Also, most cervical pre-cancers develop slowly, so nearly all cervical cancers can be prevented with regular pap smear screening and prompt treatment. Survival for women with pre-invasive cervical cancer lesions is nearly 100% with early diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

IMO, the vaccination is riskier than the disease.
    iamhis0

Answer by iamhis0 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I'm a nurse and first my thoughts were No! But then I thought about it some more and realised this is a vaccine against CANCER. I had friend get this and it was terribly painful everything she went through. You have to give it before they have sex for it to be most effective. I asked my Dr about it and she thought it was a good idea. My daugther is 10 and will be getting it within the next 2 years.
    Nieciebabe

Answer by Nieciebabe at 11:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I refuse to get it. It has killed some and left others sterile and others with cancer. No way in hell will I recieve this vaccine. That and there are hundreds of strains of HPV and this is only good against 4 of them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• That is a choice I am not going to make for my daughter. When she is old enough to understand what it is and the side effects the vaccine can cause she can make an educated decision about what she puts into her body.
    scoutmomof2

Answer by scoutmomof2 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Well, you've already gone ahead with it.

Personally, I would never get it for my dd if I should have one...
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 2:13 AM on Jul. 17, 2008