If you want the bible in public school....

would you be ok with other religions holy books in the school as well? Like Islams book, Buddhism's book( although they have many), Judaism, Taoism, etc? How would you feel about your child learning from those religions as well? Or should public school be exclusively Christian?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that school should be about learning the basics to survive the grown up lifestyle and that when religion comes into it, it should be an overview of them all...If you want to learn more about a specific religion, that is where church comes into play. However, I believe that if a child wishes to pray at school, that it should be allowed as long as it's not the school forcing it to happen.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Here in CA we already have all those books in the public school classroom. I think it is great.

Education is education. Ignorance is dumb.

LOL
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No, because God Jesus Christ gave us life and not Budah or any other made up God by man out there.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• How can you say all other gods are "made up", except for yours? That seems so arrogant. If there is a possibilty that there's is made up, it stands to reason that there is a chance yours is as well; no?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• They do Cin? I live in Calif lol I know in High school it is a graduation requirement to take World Religions. They do an overview of the most common religions out there. I.E. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and a couple of others which I cannot think of off hand. They only teach what they believe not if you should believe it. They cover some history of each religion and thats all. It is part of their History requirement.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• "No, because God Jesus Christ gave us life and not Budah or any other made up God by man out there. "

What makes any other God any more made up by man than the Christian God? Because the Bible says so? How do we know the Bible is the "real" book of God? What if the Koran really is the book that God wants us to go by? What about the Torah?

I do think that if a public school is going to offer to expose kids to Christianity through the Bible, then they should expose them to other religions as well. The district my kids go to offers a Bible to all 5th graders, but parents must sign a waiver for them to get it. Now the school board has made a pamphlet that gives an overview of 11 other religions, focusing especially on ones that may be practiced in our area. And those have grown a lot since we do have a large immigrant population.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Taught as literature? Yes, all of them should be available.

History of religions taught as they influenced civilization and culture? Absolutely.

Thing is, this kind of education tends to make kids question religion. The devout might not appreciate that.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes it is part of the CA State Standards to teach the religions you listed in a historical, literary way. Portions of these religious texts are already in the school textbooks (at least in the Lit books by Prentice Hall, Hold Rinehart Winston, Houghton Mifflin, etc). But we can also supplement those selections with other texts.

When I taught the section on World Religions in my Senior English class, I would add portions of the Mahabharata, and Lau Tzu. I had a lot of Asian students so I would also allow them to bring in stuff that they study, so we could look at it and compare it to the stuff in our unit.

I always taught this section before I began the English Romantics so they could trace the influence of Eastern Religions in English poetry. I never taught it in a way that would promote practicing them, but soley to understand the different worldviews and be able to see how they influence the literature.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think that schools should focus on the basics such as reading, writing, math, history, science, etc. If a student wishes to bring along their own holy book (no matter what religion) they should be allowed to do so to read or study from in their free time, NOT during lessons etc.
    If a school wishes to teach about different religions then it should be an elective course rather than required.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• *Holt Rinehart Winston
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009