Organizational tips?

I have a very limited budget to work with. My 16 month old has books, toys everywhere. So do me and DH. There is just not enough space!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I used assorted sizes of zip lock style bags, & inexpensive plastic containers to organize. The dollar store often has plastic baskets & shoe boxes that you can see through to help organize. You do need some shelves to put them on, or closet area. Ikea also has inexpensive organizational items, cd racks, dvd racks, books shelves for reasonable prices. If you don't have one near you, you can find them online. Garage sales & thrift stores can be a good place to find shelves & solutions.

I put craft projects in a large ziplock bag with all materials, clip it to a plastic skirt hanger from the store, & hang them in a closet ready to finish. I also did this with toys with small parts, books with cd's, etc. Blocks, hot wheels, power rangers, etc. went into plastic tubs w/lids. My boys had room under their bed to slide small plastic tubs. I saved the containers from wipes for crayons, or small items, cool whip tubs, etc.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• While I take the time to purchase nice baskets and shelving I have been using empty diaper boxes for storage. I am gradually purchasing nice baskets, book shelves and storage units.

My toddlers cars and trucks are in one box. Stuffed animals in another. He's got another box of "learning toys". He's got a box of books. They are all neatly tucked under his crib/toddler bed where we can slide them out as needed and slide them back when we are done.

The boxes are ugly, but as I said, we are in the process of buying nice alternatives to the boxes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Good idea :21. Sometimes you just have to improvise until you get what you really want.
    Another tip I learned to help prevent toy overload is to only have a few out at a time. I thought it was better if DS could see all of his toys to decide what he wanted to play with, but I tried it anyway becuase I was forever stepping on something. So, I put away all of the toys except for the Little People. He played with them for a couple of days until I put them away and got out the match box cars. He played with them for a couple of days until I put them away and got out the train set...to this day I'm doing this because it works like a charm for him and I get to keep my sanity! Plus, my feet don't hurt from stepping on match box cars all of the time! Books are on the lowest shelf of the bookshelf so he can get one of those any time he wants. I got a library card so I'm not spending so much/storing books everywhere.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Anonymous 21: the only problem with that (i was doing that for a while) is that roaches are attracted to glue and tape and cardboard boxes. We used to have bonfires twice a month. So all of the cereal boxes, diaper boxes, wipes boxes, anything cardboard in the house got kept for 2 weeks. Well, when we moved the big box once alot of roaches ran out. I called the exterminator and he said that its from the boxes and tape and glue! NO more cardboard in my house!! lol Wal-mart had an awesome same on rubbermaid boxes, all sizes. I got a bunch for like $4 each!
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 3:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009