Did you know that Reagan thought torture was abhorrent?

May 20, 1988, when sending the Convention Against Torture to the U.S. Senate to be ratified, Reagan said:

"The United States participated actively and effectively in the negotiation of the Convention. It marks a significant step in the development during this century of international measures against torture and other inhuman treatment or punishment. Ratification of the Convention by the United States will clearly express United States opposition to torture, an abhorrent practice unfortunately still prevalent in the world today.

"No exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a state of war or a threat of war, internal political instability, or any other public emergency, maybe invoked as a justification of torture...Each State Party shall ensure that all acts of torture are offences under its criminal law."

Does this make you feel any differently about torture?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• ""So because YOU personally dont agree with a law, you think its OK to break it? Interesting"

When it comes to THIS, hell yeah. "

And where do we draw the line? And how do we expect that those bent on vengeance won't take even stronger steps? Terrorists are not stopped by torture or fear of death...they WANT to die, and take as many enemies as they can with them.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• "The core provisions of the Convention establish a regime for international cooperation in the criminal prosecution of torturers relying on so-called 'universal jurisdiction.' Each State Party is required required either to prosecute torturers who are found in its territory or to extradite them to other countries for prosecution."
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Does it make me feel any differently about torture? Because Reagan said differently? UH no, I have a mind of my own, thanks.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm sorry but what exactly is your point?I've never thought torture was a good thing or necessary. But it does happen and many other countries are far worse than the US. Like BEXi said, I have my own mind and I don't make decisions based on what a single person believed in.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think we should just kill them after we get info from them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The point is that the US has engaged in torture of terror suspects, and that the patron saint of the conservative movement had stated that torture was unacceptable.

I do sometimes wonder what Mr. Reagan would have said about it all had he not suffered from Alzheimer's.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

I know this, my point is that a very RESPECTED member of the CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN PARTY was adamantly against this and thought is was important to PROSECUTE anyone who engages in such behavior. I'm asking, knowing that, does it make you look at it in a different light?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

That is the American way?

MOST were INNOCENT, does that matter?

What seperates you from the terrorists if you behave like a terrorist?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• MOST were INNOCENT, does that matter?

Innocent of what?? being model citizens?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No, it doesn't make me think any differently what so ever. I don't always agree what a person from the same party I affiliate with says. Shocking.. I know.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009