Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can be done about Disconnection Notices? In Central WI.

We're jobless here! Times are tough. My DD is Due any day now with her 3rd Baby. She's still working because she earns all there is in her household. Its not enough! Her DH is also unemployed! My DH has been at his job almost 24 years! Talk is the senoir men at the company they are just letting Go.... To hire new Younger Welders & not pay them as much or give any insurance or vacation! Times are beyond Hardships & going Without! But I'm used to this. I have poor health & many problems! But my DD is just 25. She has two toddler boys & this First Baby girl soon! She has disconnection notices! They paid each utility $50.00 each. They just had A Wedding Anniversary. The only gifts & money came from me! Since I just had A Birthday & got $25.00. It wasn't much to help. But all I had! Their Refrigerator also Died! We're Struggling and to see them struggle too breaks my heart! I feeel like such A faliure to not be able to help.Ideas?

Answer Question

Asked by Angellinda at 7:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 21 (11,804 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • They need to call their utilities and see what can be negotiated. They may also be able to get assistance from a local charity.

    Try calling 211. This is a nationwide hotline for getting assistance in YOUR area.

    Answer by gdiamante at 7:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • I don't have a lot of advice, but I have gotten disconnection notices in the past. I know that our gas and power company does have a program where they will work with lower income families to work out a payment program. Any time I've ever called with payment arrangements I've never had a problem. Most places are willing to work with you on a payment plan. At least that way eventually they'll get their money. Beyond that your son in law may need to bite the bullet, swallow his pride and get any job. Pumping gas, laborer, whatever. I don't know the situation where you are, but there are usually always jobs to be found, it just may not be what he was doing, or what he wants to be doing, but income is better than no income. And he can always be looking for something better while he does whatever he needs to do to contribute to the family's finances. This probably isn't much help, but it's all i can think of.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • Contact your local CAC, Community Action Commision, they can help with bills, if you have a disconnect notice. They can also help with food and may even be able to get your dd a new fridge.

    I so know how you are feeling, I have adult children who are struggling, but my dh and I are also struggling...I feel so bad that I can't help my children. Back when I was a young mother, if I needed something important I always knew I could count on my days, it seems we parents aren't able to help like our parents did. It does break my heart................

    Answer by robinann5 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • I feel for ya. There should be some type of program to start at in your area. Our's is called First Call for Help. From there, I would try the Salvation Army and then your local churches.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • Get with the companies and see if they will work with your DD. This may be a stretch but what if you all moved in together for a little while and pooled your resources? Would that help at least somewhat?

    Answer by Kristin21 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • At least in WI this is the last month they can shut off the heat and electric because of least you've got that going for you. Check Craigslist and Freecycle for a new fridge. Times certainly are tough for a lot of us, but this too shall pass.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
How can I afford to go back to school?

Next question overall (Health)