desperate for answers!

Short version of our situation...we moved to this new state, rented a house for 850 am onth(rural area) and he got a job nearby for 16.00 an hour for 35 hours week. fine..this paid our bills. well he hates the job so he decides to finish his college(an hour away)well the workplace was on board until 2 days before classes and said he would have to go part time(24 hours) until december for his 6 month mark. well then they said they are slow so now he is only working 2 days a week 6 hours a day for 16 hours. our electric bill on our rental was supposed to be 80.00 it is over 450.00 a month! We have used all our savings up, we have ayear lease here, we are moving to the university in a year(currrently comm college) We have a 2 year old that i really dont want to send to daycare. I have a degree and have applied for jobs in my area but nothing. He has applied for jobs at mcdonalds after school and nothing...cont below,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• He has applied for jobs at fast food restraunts, grocery stores, retail stores ect. but no one will call. our house is big and nice but it is really the only house for rent near his other job(its a rural area) I have applied for night jobs(so we dont have to pay daycare) at a town 35 miles away but nothing! We only have one car with insurance because we cannot afford insurance on the other one! our only bills are rent, elect, gas, gro, st loans, internet/phone(no cell phones-we have a home phone) and insurance but we cannot make it! All our siblings have moved back in with our parents and they are helping them out and we just dont want to have to do that! what are our options? what are we missing? should we sell all our stuff to try and stay here and pay the 450 electric bill? our landlord says if we move we cannot get out 1000.00 deposit back since we broke lease. ughhhh please help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Would you qualify for that one time rental assistance? Maybe you should start filling out an application- just to see if that can get you by.

Until then, keep looking for jobs, possibly a smaller/cheaper apartment even if it is further away. Have a massive garage sale. If you're in a church ask them for help. Put ads up on Craigslist, and other free sites.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• start selling your stuff

and how the heck did your electric bill get so high??
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• OP HERE......My electric bill is so high because I have no idea! We have had the a/c guy out here 5 times in 3 months! We never use the a/c, we burn up all day, we never turn lights on..it should be about 60 because we never use anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Wow I'm Sorry! I so hear you! We've always had A High Electric bill. Averaging at $200.00 per mo. All our Neighbors is no where near ours! We have NO kids home here anymore! Sure DD & her Family are over.. But I know!! We're Jobless! My SIL is Jobless. My DD is almost unemployed. Since her DD is Due any Day now! She's 25 & this will be her 3rd Baby! I know the Hard times!! They are Facing disconnections! Their 'Fridge Quit now! I think they'll lose Everything! I hate hearing these Sad times!! Its Sad! This troubles my Heart & My mind! I hate to hear your Sad Story! I wish I knew what to say! I hope knowing many others are in your situation helps some. You're Trying for sure! Its not Easy! My SIL even shovels out Barns & Poop With A Shovel!! Look into that High Electric Bill! That can't be right! Will the CO. come out & do A audit on why its so high? Can you Car pool with anyone? I know we live in the Rural! Best of Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You need to call the electric company and get them out there. Someone is running off your electric. I don't care if you run the 20 year old A/C day and night you shouldn't have a $400.00 electric bill, it would be close, but not over $400.00. How close is the next house? Are you living in an actual house or a condo? 10 years ago, I lived in Philly and ran my A/C day and night even when I was a work, because if you didn't the house would never cool off at night and my electric bill was $300.00 a month. If your electric bill is over $400.00 a month you need to call a lawyer because someone is screwing with you. Unplug everything in your home, switch off whatever is heating your water, walk outside and watch the meter, if it's still running someone is running off your electric.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• OP HERE......we tried the switch off everything and see if eneighbors are using your electric(which they are over 2 miles away so..) and the meter did not move. We have had the air conditioner guys out and they say nothing is wrong. the a/c is always screwing up even though the landlord said it was "new". It sucks. I am so stressed out. My husband wants to break the lease and move into an apartment by college but we are moving again in 9 months. Plus we have animals and he says lets get rid of them(horses,cats, dogs) but I dont want to! I dontk now...I would rather work a f/t job than move. ugh thanks 4 tha advice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Have you thought about working from home? I work from home but I do not sell, stock, or deliver anything. This is a very legitimate opportunity. In fact we have won awards from the BBB. We offer a free website, free training, unlimited support and a free personal mentor to help you reach your goals. If you are interested in learning more go to my website www.workathomeunited.com/heathers for more information. You AND your husband can do this together and make a huge difference!!!! Check it out. You will be glad you did!!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2009