Son Doesnt Talk Much (10 months old)

My son is 10 months old and he really doesnt talk alot. All he says is Da Da Da Da Da and laughs and cries and giggles. He responds to his name (sometimes, you have to get his attention) Is this normal? Do I need to talk to his dr? My husband says hes fine but I just dont know!! My friends child who is 14 months gabbers all day long. So I dont know. Help! Put my mind at ease!!

DarthPink

Asked by DarthPink at 8:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Haha you sound just like me!!! I said the same thing about my son when he was 9-10 months and my husband kept saying "he's fine!" but I worried anyway. He was just like your son...didn't really say anything but "da da da". But he's 12 months now and says "da da" "ma ma" "hi" "hey" "uh oh" "bye bye" and "whoa" lol. It was amazing how much he changed in 2-3 months! My friend has a 20 month old daughter and she's always been a gabber so I realize now that it's also a personality thing. Even though my son is extremely active he is really more of an observer than a socializer. He talks when he feels like it :)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• That sounds normal to me. He's not even a year old yet. There is a BIG difference between 10 months and 14 months. I know it's only 4 months to us, but developmentally that's a HUGE difference. If he makes it to 2yrs and still does not say many recognizable words then it is time to worry.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You don't have anything to worry about. At 10 months not very many children are talking much. He responds to you and acknowledges your voice, I'd say he's normal. Just keep talking to him. Also if your friend's child is a girl, they start babbling earlier...and they never stop! Girls talk sooner and more than boys.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• LOL, she is a girl!!
    DarthPink

Answer by DarthPink at 9:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My 14month old only says Baba and Dada. And he is perfectly 'normal'.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 9:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009