My daughter is 10.5 months and has always been easy to get to sleep. We have followed babywise all along, but now she seems to have some separation anxiety at night. She stands in her bed and screams and cries. We have had to resort to rocking her after several attempts. How long should she be left to cry it out? It seems to take longer than in the past.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WHY? why would you let a baby (or any one for that matter) cry it out? There is a book called the no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantly try it or even better try listening to your conscious you know that twinge you get when you let your baby CIO?? thats nature telling you ITS WRONG! Gees in 6 years of Neonatal ICU full time and still 4 more PRN years I NEVER EVER let anyones baby CIO and certainly not my own either
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• At this point she seems to have the "system" down (I loosely followed baby wise too) that I think it won't hurt to get up with her at night. Try to figure out what's causing her to wake up, could she be hungry? Offer her breast or bottle because she might be going through a growth spurt, or try feeding her a good meal before bed. Does she need extra comfort? By LO would do that when I tried to take off her bumper, also letting her sleep with a blanket and stuffed animal helped as well. Another thing that has helped her sleep really well is putting on a lullaby CD or a CD of classical music when we put her down, then if she's having trouble sleeping we'll turn it on in the middle of the night and she's OUT!

Don't listen to people who're judging you about CIO, you're the mommy and you need to do what you feel is best, but if you feel like it's too harsh to CIO in the middle of the night then try some of my suggestions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm not a fan of Babywise becuase its meant to teach a baby that they are not any more important that anyone else in the house. SAD fact is they are in a way because a baby can not say hey I'm hungry, hey I feel sick, hey my tooth hurts, etc...they have to cry and scream. When a baby is left to cry especially when its out of the ordinary they feel abandoned. A baby needs extra attention to grow into a trusting, secure adult. SOOOO this means their needs are a priority in the beginning. Take care of her needs...if she needs feeding feed her, if she needs cuddling cuddle her...shes a baby, she needs her mommy and daddy
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Babywise is HORRIBLE!  Ezzo has NO MEDICAL TRAINING.  He is a MINISTER.  He has no business writing a MEDICAL book!!  Children who have been fed using his methods have suffered from dehydration, malnutrition, and failure to thrive!!!  Here is a link that sums it up.  Get the No Cry Sleep Solution!  There is a group on CM for CIO alternatives.  Check it out!

Gaia_Rain

Answer by Gaia_Rain at 11:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Gaia_Rain

Answer by Gaia_Rain at 11:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Uhm your child needs you, Babywise is horrible. If a child has issues or anxiety you need to comfort them instead of letting them CIO and only making matters worse.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2009