How common is it near you?

This is an offshoot of a conversation in my PoR class this week - how common is it where you live to see verses or cutesy church sayings (the ones like "give Jesus a try, if you don't like it Satan will take you back") on businesses? Not counting churches or religious schools, but regular businesses like gas stations and coffee shops? And where (generally) do you live?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's sadly common in SC, too. There are many, not just on church property, but on businesses, too. Does help me know where to not spend my money, though. We have a Pizza Inn here and the sign has read "(name of town) god saves"" for about 20 years now...almost every time I pass it, I wonder when we got our own personal god, and what football team he plays for.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• OMG I thought my town was the only one. Last Christmas, every single Wendy's in my area--and I'm talking like a 50 mile radius here--said either "God Bless America!" or "Jesus Saves!" on the marquee. There's also 500,000 billboards that say "Satan wants your souuuuuul!" and other rather offensive religious propaganda. I live in western NC =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Not common at all - don't think I've ever seen that actually. I live in Pennsylvania but am from New England.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 8:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm not sure if i've ever seen that. ...but then again, not sure if i've ever paid attention. I live in The North State California
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Oh yeah...all the time...I live in North Carolina too.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 8:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Not common at all, I live in upstate NY.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It is rare. I am in the midwest. Hobby Lobby runs a big ad at christmas and Easter. We have an insurance agent that is a Christian just around the corner from our house. He usually has Bible verses on his sign - not cutesy sayings. I HATE the stupid sayings! I'd rather it be a verse or something serious rather than an attempt to be cute or funny!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I have never seen that at any business. I live in Washington State on the border to Oregon.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 8:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• In my area they have gone past "cuties" plaques (which I really don't care about either way). On every single phone pole up and down the closest major intersection for a good mile are brightly colored printed papers that say all sorts of stuff about Jesus, repenting now to be saved and the like. They are an environmental hazard, a safety hazard, and a public nuisance since they are always coming off the poles and littering the streets. Not to mention that they are an eye sore in this quaint historical part of town (even the businesses went with the historical motif to match).

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It's common here in NC, unfortunately.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009