kindergarten toddler who's behind

I have a Five year old god-son who is currently living with us and I recently enrolled him in Kindergarden; however after the first few days the teacher tells me he is way behind. He didnt go to pre-school (due to his mother's living situtation) however that I have him Kindergarden he is behind. He cant write his name and the other students are starting to write sentences. Does anyone have any suggestions so I can help him or ways I can work with him at home?

I'm new at this "parenting thing".....I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks In Advance

ninawhocares001

Asked by ninawhocares001 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make an appointment with the principal of the school. Children who are behind qualify for special services - each school (or district) has a team of psychologists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, tutors, etc.

As for writing - make it fun! Every day, sit down and "write" someone a letter. Have him draw a picture and teach him to sign his name. BTW - most of the kids in my son's K class can only write their name, no sentences so I'm not sure what your teacher is getting at. She should also have some suggestions and some extra work.

One of the things that helped my son was buying him a workbook at the bookstore that focused on math and shapes (which he loves) but requires him to write his name at the top of the page. Then we send the pages to friends and family. It's a great incentive.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Definately talk to the teacher for additional work/advise. Also get some phonics workbooks and work with him. You may be able to get a couple computer programs that help with phonics and letter recognition. The computer proigrams have games that help make learning fun. That is what we did with my little brother and he was able to catch up. Good luck
    sweetboys4me

Answer by sweetboys4me at 9:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Wow thats strange. We have plenty of kids that start kindergarten here that don't know any letters colors numbers or anything. The schools just teach them. I think its gonna be a little hard. With a full day of school he isn't gonna wanna do too much when he gets home. Nor should he really have to. 5 yr olds should not have to do school stuff from sun up to sun down. I think the school should have tutors to help during the school day that way they just have the typical homework to do after school like study vocab words ect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Sounds like the teacher is lazy. Most K students can't write words, more or less sentences in the beginning of the year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Anon: most kids in Kindergarten CAN write words and sentences, it is something that they work on everyday. My son's Kindergarten class wrote journals everyday, including sentences.

OP: Ask the teacher for some worksheets to help your nephew practice writing his letters and name. You can also purchase a preschool workbook for handwriting at Walmart or google handwriting and print out worksheets. Have him trace his name or letters in pudding, whipcream (he can even lick his fingers off when done). Have him trace letters in sand, dirt, etc. Try the website Handwriting Without Tears. Reading to him will help him recognize words and sentence structure. Make an appointment with the school counselor to have him tested for learning disabilities and if they find any, get an IEP in place as soon as possible. If you want more info, please PM me and I can see whatelse I can help you with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• go to walmart in the toy section the have workbooks for the different grades get some
    read to him
    teach him letters numbers colors shapes
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• sounds to me like she is expecting to much at this point. There is no rule that says they have to be able to write their name when they walk in the door. That being said they should not be writing sentences at this point either. Some of the older 5's might be able to but a younger five is usually not at that point. I like the set Handwriting without Tears as well. Use shaving cream on the kitchen table to make letters and write his name. You can do this with sight words as well. Feel free to email me and I can give you some websites.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• School just started he isn't behind.. He just needs to be taught ... Most 5 year olds I know didn't start writing sentences and such until later on in the year after starting kindergarten. Really seems she is just expecting way too much of him or is just too lazy to do her job and wants them to come in knowing everything they should be taught in kindergarten (I've met quite a few teachers like this).
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Boys mature later than girls. Is he a "young" 5, as in just recently turned 5? Have you considered pulling him out of Kindergarten and sending him to a year of preschool or K4?

Personally, I think the teacher sounds like she's expecting too much. While he should already be able to write his name, the rest of the things sound like things he should be learning IN Kindergarten.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009