Do you think these situations are hypocritical?

*A man who was a 20 year smoker, but who has quit for health reasons, teaches his children that smoking is bad for them.
*A woman who wants to quit smoking, but who does not have the will power to quit, teaches her children that smoking is bad for them, AND explains that if she could quit, she would quit.
*Parents teach their children that they should wait until marriage until they loose their virginity; however, one parent lost his virginity at 14 because he was taught the classid double standard that boys who get a lot are studs and that and the other parent lost hers at 16 because she was in love and was trying to save a relationship. Both parents have admitted their shortcomings in remaining sexually pure and are trying to teach their kids to learn from their mistakes.
*A Muslim man who is married to four women converts to Christianity. He later becomes a pastor of a church. His four wives and eight kids sit up front.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 8:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No one is perfect....we all have to try to learn from our mistakes. That's what forgivness is all about. Jesus Christ died for our sins....we all sin! The point is these people saw their mistakes and asked to be forgiven and were trying to teach their children the "right" way.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• People have mistakes and learn from them and try to teach their children to not follow the same mistakes.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 8:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• A Muslim man who is married to four women converts to Christianity. He later becomes a pastor of a church. His four wives and eight kids sit up fron

He is still a muslim in thought and action. I do not believe his "conversion" was real; most people who do this are only interested in converting and ministering for easy money. The Bible says ministers of the word should have one wife. This man is not to be in this position of leadership. The church is wrong for allowing this.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• People make mistakes. People (most) learn from their mistakes and try to show their children what they've learned to try to guide the children in the right direction.

MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It is not hypocritical to be upfront with your children about your shortcomings, or to warn them of the dangers of the situations the parents have overcome. Parents are suppose to look out for the safety and well-being of their children! Sadly today too many children do not respect or admire their parents for anything.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Not that I'm agree its right in any sense.....but man......pick one woman out of four? eeeek. I'd hate to see the wrath of the dumped wives.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No one is perfect and just about anyone can become a minister or pastor nowadays. The having 4 wives and 8 children goes against the Christian faith but again anything goes in the churches today. There are men that are gay and they are there as pastors. Same with women. What a disgrace to the house of God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with any of those situations....besides, who are we to judge?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• People make mistakes, even if they don't see them as such at the time. Experience is a great teacher. It is the adult/parent's responsibility to train a child to NOT repeat the mistakes of their own. Just because one person does something, doesn't make it okay or good for someone else to do.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Anon: "He is still a muslim in thought and action. I do not believe his "conversion" was real; most people who do this are only interested in converting and ministering for easy money. The Bible says ministers of the word should have one wife. This man is not to be in this position of leadership. The church is wrong for allowing this."

I don't know what I think of this one : ) I think it would be wrong for him to stop providing for his wives and children, but maybe he could refrain from having sex with everyone???? LOL. I don't know. But as far as him being a minister, the Bible says that they should be the husband of one wife. So I think that it is great that he came to Christ, is taking care of his family, etc. I don't think he should hold the office of minister.

I wonder what Pastor Chuck Smith would say about a man with many wives becoming a Christian. I might call the radio show, LOL.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009