Can you...

Draw unemployment during the time of birth and normal time women take maternity leave?

My boss said they'll more than likely lay me and the others in my dept off at the end of the year bc they probably won't have our jobs in the budget for 2010. That'll be December and I'm am due the first week of February and I'm pretty sure no one would hire someone 8-9 months pregnant to only work a few weeks then have to take off so I can't exactly get another job when I get laid off. So would I be able to draw unemployment from December up until after I have the baby and then the 6-8 weeks after? I had to draw last year when we were down for 2 weeks and I know it asks if your available for work every day and if your able to work an they want you to contact 2 employers a week to see about another job so that's why I'm not sure if you can or not. I know I can call and ask but I'm curious right now if anyone has done this.

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• when my husband was laid off he got 6 months of unemployment payment, so i would think that if you do get laid off then you would get unemployment payments for 6 months, as long as they don't call you back...? you better check with the unemployment office though. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• pp here, i think he did just have to show that he was looking for work. but if you get offered a job that pays less, you don't have to take it. so if you can apply for some minimum wage jobs, you probably wouldn't get hired anyway if you told them you'll be having a baby in a few weeks, then you can just tell the unemployment office you applied there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009