Do you think going to college to get a degree in general/liberal studies is a waste of time?

I am in the midst of an argument about this subject, and I would like your opinion on the matter =)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• College is expensive and time consuming. I would think someone would have a focus.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I guess it depends. What type of job can a person get with that degree? (i have no clue)
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Don't expect higher wages just because you have a generalized degree. Liberal Arts degrees are hard to turn into jobs as well. Degrees in business and science are more likely to tranfer into the job market. That doesn't mean liberal arts degrees aren't worth anything. Lots of politicians have them. Lots of teachers have double degrees one in general ed the other in liberal arts. If you do General Ed and liberal arts that transfers well in teaching positions. What am I saying..follow your gut. Stay the course you fell is right for you. Have a oal at the end of college and work towards it. If you intend on pursuing your Masters a liberal arts degree is a different story altogether.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Your first 2 years is usually a liberal arts curriculum any way. You don't have to declare a major until you finish your 2nd year. The liberal arts is a default degree until you know what you want. Keep it there until you have had some time to get into school and get some exposure. Sometimes you will see a concentration with a liberal arts minor. It just lets people know you are well read and well rounded.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think that college opens up your reasoning and analysis abilities, regardless of what major you ultimately choose. You are also learning to discuss your position with people of various opinions and opening up to other viewpoints. College has a lot to offer besides just a formal education. I felt like I had learned a lot about life and people in general when I finished college. Is it worth the cost? That depends on what you get out of it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No. Employers want a degree and sometimes it doesn't even matter what its in. Plus its always a good thing to educate yourself.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• nope. in my job searches most employers just wanted to see that you had the piece of paper. most didnt even ask what i majored in.

you have to take so many basic courses, they can already guarantee you are going to have a certain level of intelligence. and actually graduating college shows you have what it takes to stick with something no matter how hard it is.

now if you want to be a nurse, lawyer, doctor, engineer, or something in business than yeah, you need a specific degree.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• What kind of a degree? An associates? Definitely not a waste of time. That will give you time and experience to figure out what you want to continue to learn, or if you want to continue in studies at all. And if you do decide to go more specialized the transition will probably be easy.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 10:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If it is in high demand, no it isn't. I would try to pick a major that is in demand.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No, it's not a waste of time.

Employers want someone with a degree, and often times don't care in what.

I got a B.A. in French language with a minor in Japanese. Never hindered me. In fact, I later got a Second Bachelor's Degree in Nursing.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2009