Why is just speaking about the non-existence of God, so offending?

My signature reads, The bad news is god doesn't exist. The good news is you don't need him. (I know not real original, it's right off one of the atheist bus ads.)

I just don't understand how just mentioning the idea that there is no god, is so darn offensive to people. You don't even have to assert that there is no god. Take the bus ads in Iowa that caused such a ruckus.

Don't Believe in God. You are not alone?

What could people who believe in god possibly find so offensive about that? If you want to believe, fine, it's your choice. But there are those who don't, and we are finally finding our voices, and speaking out about it. Why are you so threatened by just words on a webpage/bus/ect.....

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "How come I can't post pictures in the answers section? Is it because I use Safari?"

It's because you don't believe in God. (I'm totally kidding)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Honestly, some people see our very existence as a threat. I don't understand it either.I guess we can chalk it up to ignorance.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't get offended. I'm very secure in my beliefs and in my Faith. Reading something like that doesn't make God any less real to me. When I see something like that in somebody's signature or what have you, I just say a prayer for them and move on.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I'm sure some people would be glad to have us all gassed and would claim that it was divine intervention.

I think part of it has to do with the new-ness of speaking out against religion. Just as recently as a couple hundred years ago, people were put to death or burned for speaking out against anything religious. What some people can't understand is that there have ALWAYS been atheists...ALWAYS. They've just been repressed and haven't been able to speak up without fear of persecution.

I thank FSM that I live in the time I do, and that we're able to say whatever the hell we want with confidence.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• JESUS LOVES YOU AND WILL FORGIVE YOU IF YOU ASK!!!!!!!!!!!
    lizzysmom83

Answer by lizzysmom83 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• not so much saying God doesn't exist but a question with wording that directly or indirectly calls me ignorant puts the runner in my hose. Or hinting that I don't know about my own religion just makes the elephant dance on my toes. So I leave you with this, may the bird of paradise fly up your nose...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It doesn't offend me either. It saddens me for that person knowing that they don't have Jesus in their heart as I do and don't feel His presence and His love the way I do. So I pray for them as well and I share His word with them if they are open to it whenever I can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Hey, that rhymed =) And lizzy, Jesus is my homeboy. I just don't bow down to him or any other deity.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Oy vey! Seriously this question isn't debating whether or not Jesus or God exists, it's asking why some people feel threatened that others don't believe in Jesus. If you believe in Jesus and God then that's great. Care to explain why it's so offensive if others believe differently than you?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009