What can I do,My Rabbits have fleas?

We have three rabbits. We have never bathed them,because I was told there was no need for that. We have had bunnies for at least four years and this has never happened before. They do live in cages outside,we sometimes let them graze in an enclosure on the ground. I just don't want to take them to the vet over this if I don't have to. We have a lot of other pets I suppose that if the bunnies have fleas so will our cats and dogs soon. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I'm pretty sure it is safe to use Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo on them. It will kill the fleas (I know it sounds strange, but I use it on all my dogs and cats for fleas). I've never used it on rabbits before, so just call a vet and ask if there is something you can use that is safe for them.
    Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Rabbits have very delicate systems so you can not use the same flea products on them you would on a dog or cat. I would call a vet who knows what you can use, and if a manufactured product (flea killer, etc) is suggested, call the 800 number on the bottle/canister and ask them also if it is safe on rabbits.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 2:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Call the vet an ask if there is something like frontline or advantage for rabbits. Make sure the vet you talk to knows a lot about rabbits-some vets know basics and not enough to know what may or may not harm them. I have a rabbit too and had to find a vet that specailized in small animals to make sure she is in the best care possible. You can also wash them with dawn dish soap or johnson and johnson just leave it on for 5 mins and then rinse. That will kill the fleas on them at that time, but will not stop fleas from getting back on them. I would also treat your yard or your dogs and cats will get and bring the fleas in the house. We have never had fleas in the 7 years we have lived here but this year they are SO bad. I think everyone I know has got them this year.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2009