I have a 4 year old that acts 14 HELP!!!

Ok this is how it goes. I'm 41 and have a 4 year old. She is my only daughter and I don't want to use that as an excuse because it's not. I don't treat her like she is an only child either. My problem is her behavior. She has been acting like she is 2, freaking out crying over every little thing most when we have to leave a friends house. I have tryed time outs, spanking, grounding, no tv, no toys. I explained to her that if she doen't cry she won't get into trouble but it goes in one ear and out the other. I feel like she is 14 with the argueing. She knows that I'm mom and what I say goes but she fights tooth and nail. I NEVER give in with anything. Everyone else does. It pretty much ticks me off but what can I say. I need a new way to discip. her. ANYONE that can help or give ideas bring it on. I need the help!!!!!

thingsgroovy

Asked by thingsgroovy at 9:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Acting like a baby means she gets treated like a baby.
    Mush for food at mealtimes when she's acted this way, cheerios only for snacks, naps, early bedtimes, only baby toys (seriously, go spend $1 a piece on a cheap rattle and a rubber ducky or something just for these occasions and bring them out for then)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Google, buy, read, and do what the book **"1-2-3 Magic"** says. the concept of the book is the child get a count to 3 then the punishment happens. Lets say it is being out of control......you tell her ''DD that's 1 if you do not get yourself under control the punishment will be XXXXXXXXXX.'' If she stops tell her ''good job thank you for getting your self undercontrol''. If not then say ''that's 2 if you do not get yourself under-control 'rename the punishment" if she does then say good job thank you. If not then you say DD that's 3 then dole out the punishment, right then and there. Make sure it is a punishment you WILL FOLLOW THRU ON. She cannot really get mad at you for the punishment because you gave her 3 chance AND told her what would happen if she didn't do what you asked of her. If she gets mad explain to her that she has no one else to blame but herself be consistent 100% of the time

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My nephew acts like that. I tell him that he is a big 3 yr old not a baby, and if he wants to cry and have a fit like a baby he will wear a diaper and drink a bottle. He says "I'M NOT A BABY" and I say well then stop acting like one. He calms down pretty quick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If my son acts like a baby like the other mom said he gets treated like a baby.. Doesn't take very long for him to straighten up. He starts whining i'm just like ok you're acting like a baby now would you like me to treat you like one and it usually stops (unless he's sick but then it's kinda understandable).
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2009