For those who read my question last night, now what??

So, I talked to dd today and got a little more detail. She was having a better day. It is definately a prayer they are saying. So I asked ds, and he said, "yeah, the aide does it, or if the aide doesn't want to then the teacher has one of the kids do it but never me" Now his teacher knows we aren't Christian, so I don't want to jump the gun and think that is what is going on, but in dd's class the teacher says the prayer. I talked to dh and he wants to go in and say something like, "You know, we don't mind if you want a moment of silence, but we feel that this just isn't right" type of thing. I'm not sure how to approach it without sounding like we are trying to start problems, now that we know there IS definately a problem. GRRR, I HATE confrontation. Help me out here. Oh and ds said they didn't do this last year and dd didn't say anything about it last year so I am wondering if this is new??

Cont...

Petie

Asked by Petie at 9:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would go to the teacher rather than trying to send out feelers from other people- personally I think it's better to be direct. I figure it's better to be polite or upfront and would flat out tell the teacher: "My understand is that you are leading the kids in prayer before snack time- we're not Christian and I object to my child being led in Christian prayer. May I suggest (fill in the blank here- non-denominational prayer, moment of silence to say thanks, etc.) You would then have to take her response and go from there. JMO- HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If so and the administration already knows about it, then what do we do?? I mean dd has the SAME teacher she had last year and she never said anything. Of course, last year she wasn't on the right meds etc. But, I KNOW ds didn't have this in HIS class last year. Maybe I should talk to his teacher from last year and see if she is being asked to do this too? I don't know. But now that I KNOW what is happening, I am left with a sinking feeling as now I HAVE to do SOMETHING, I just don't know what to do.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• PTL!!!! It is about time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Is it a private school, or public school? If it's a private school, they may have changed their policies, and you may just have to deal with it, or ask the teacher to exclude your children from the prayer. If it's a public school, the kids should not be made to pray at all. Confront the teacher, and the principal if needed. If nothing is changed, start contacting local news stations, and gain some national attention about this. I know the kind of anxiety a potential confrontation can cause you, but it's only going to get worse the longer you put it off. Talk to the teacher right away!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It's a public school in a small deep south town.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Research the law before any confrontation. You are going to have to show them the law code to make them stop. I don't know what the law is on tape recordings for your area but from experience I've learned that carrying one is invaluable. And if it's known that your child has permission to carry one, it has an amazing chilling effect on actions they know are illegal. Stops it right in its tracts.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I still say just talk to the teacher, it may not be as bad as you think it will be, legally you have the right to ask them to stop. You can also contact the principle or superintendent of the school and address them about it. I do not think that there is any reason to approach it as you have a "war" on your hands until you see what their reaction is, call them if you do not want a face to face confrontation.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• MaryJane--I certainly hope it doesn't seem like I am treating it like a war, I just REALLY hate confrontations like this, especially with my kids stuck in the middle. I don't even like the IEP meetings because I KNOW I'm going to have to ask for something they may not want to provide, so I get knots in my gut, even though that is only an hour long process usually.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009