Bedtime is very difficult these days...is it ok to let a 16 month old cry it out for 15 -20 min? stressed out b/c baby is so upset

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, that's old enough and a short enough time.

Just listen to the sound of the cry. You know well by now what the "I'm in pain" cry is, and what the "I'm just angry I'm in bed alone" cry is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• After one year i believe that CIO can be effective if done correctly. By correctly i mean it depends on your child and your previous parenting style. There's never one right way to do anything.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If it is okay with you to let your LO CIO, then go for it. Some moms will tell you CIO doesnt work and its cruel, some moms are totally for crying it out. So, it its okay with you, try it.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 9:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It is fine if it works for you. My oldest did very well with cry it out at that age. My second did not. He is now 20 months and we are finally getting him to fall asleep by himself. Instead of leaving him and letting him cry it out, I had to slowly move farther and farther away from him every night until I was in the hallway. I don't know if it was because of their personalities, or what. But my oldest is very laid back and goes with the flow and cio worked. My second is very sensitive and you can say more needy than his older brother. He just got way too upset when we just let him cry, it was awful. With that said, you know your child and you know what is best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It is perfectly fine to do. After a few days, maybe a week, if you are consistant, I bet your child will be a much better sleeper...and you wont even have to wait 10 minutes!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:14 AM on Aug. 26, 2009