What should I expect with a hystosonogram?

I am going this wed for a hystosonoram as part of a PCOS work up. WIil it hurt. Should I take someone with me to drive me home? What exactly is it? What might my Dr be looking for?

HadassasMommy

Asked by HadassasMommy at 1:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Health

• I really have no clue. I hope someone can give you a good answer. You've got my prayers!!
    mom2sophia711

Answer by mom2sophia711 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• "To perform the procedure, the doctor begins by inserting an ultrasound device into the vagina, and checking for abnormalities in the uterus and ovaries. Then, a device called a speculum is used to open the vagina and expose the cervix. The doctor cleans and possibly numbs the cervix, then inserts a small tube through the cervix and into the uterus. The tube pumps a harmless, sterile saline solution into the uterus, which expands the uterus and makes it easier to see. Then, the doctor uses the ultrasound probe in the vagina to generate an image of the expanded uterus for a few minutes. After examining the image of the uterus, the doctor removes the probe, and the saline solution drains from the uterus.

sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• The procedure is usually not painful, but the patient may experience cramps similar to those that happen during her period when the tube is inserted into the cervix or when the uterus is filled with saline solution. If desired, an over the counter pain remedy, such as Advil or Tylenol, may be taken before the procedure to maximize comfort. This, however, should be cleared with the physician first."

I found this here http://www.uterus1.com/care/uterusdiag20.cfm/8. You may want to bring someone just for support, in case you are in pain, to drive you home. I don't think it is necessary though. Hope that helps!
    sapient