Has Anyone heard of doing this?

My cat has three week old kittens. We noticed right away that one was not using it's hind legs at all. I waited and she fed him but he still did not use his hind legs. I figured he would not make it w/o his hind legs,so I took him to the vet and was really expecting her to tell me she should put him to sleep. She told me that she had seen it before and if she was to make him a make shift cast from tape. Taping the hind legs up and putting the natural bend in them that he should start to use them. I was thrilled and he has been taped up for about five days and we can already see him trying to push off w/his hind legs. Has anyone heard of this being done? I was totally amazed that this can be done~but very happy.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 9:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Awww... I haven't ever seen or heard that before. I'm so glad they could help your kitten.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I have heard of that before. It's wonderful that they offered this as an option instead of just putting him to sleep. I hope he starts feeling better.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I've never known of this. Thanks for sharing. I was always taught not using legs was a neurological disorder. You are very special for taking the time to notice, see what could be done, and the expense to take care of a young kitten.
    Thanks for teaching your children the value of life and that pets are not disposable.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 2:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• That's great I hope it works but if he cannot gain control over his legs when he gets a bit older your vet should be able to either make or have made for him a little thing with wheels that holds up his hind end so he can still be a mobile cat.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 5:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009