Very hyper 3 year old!

My 3 year old son is very hyper he runs around the house from the time he wakes up til the time he goes to bed! He never sits still i dont know where he gets all this energy from! I cant keep up with him anymore due to me being almost 36 weeks prego! So my ? Is does anyone have any idea on how i can get him to sit still atleast for 5 mins ive tried lettin him draw watch tv ive even gotten down on the floor to play wit him but he just wont sit still!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe if you watch tv with him, and point stuff out he'll find a show he likes so you have at least that 30 mins where he is watching it. if it wasn't for "super why" (cartoon on pbs) i wouldn't have 2 mins to myself all day w/how hyper my 3 yr old is.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Have you eliminated sugar from his diet including in cereal? Also, not that you're in any shape to do this, but boys need to RUN around and really burn off that energy. Can you take him to the park while you sit and watch?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:55 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It is perfectly normal what he is doing.. you don't want to stop it and you especially don't want to try and plant him in front of the tv (I understand you're pregnant and it's hard but he needs to get that energy out) I agree with taking him to the park or even just outside if you have a nice yard.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I let my energic 3 year old son help me with his 7 month old sister. I let him help me pick out clothes for her and bathe and change her. He even tries to read to her...it's so cute. But until your little one comes, you can have him help you with house chores such as the dishes or holding the dustpan while you sweep. He can clean windows or dust tables and desks. Also my son has a strict 7:30pm bed time and bed time routinue. Little kids who don't get enough sleep usually are more active during their awake hours believe it or not. I read that in the supernanny book. It was a lifesaver.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:28 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I can vouch for the idea that if my boys don't sleep enough they are not only infinitely more active, but their activity is much more destructive. If they sleep enough they can control themselves much better.

My kids also have some food sensitivities and eliminating the offending foods really seems to help.
    lig

Answer by lig at 1:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My 3 and 4 year olds do the same time. (4yo boy, 3yo girl). Thankfully, my youngest (who is almost 2) was a late walker and hasn't caught on to the running constantly all day yet. :)

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and know exactly what you mean. I'm selfish and hate the heat so we don't go out much during the day. (Plus, my kids sunburn like crazy.) So they just run the house. Lol. My husband takes them out in the evening sometimes to ride their bikes, etc.

Hang in there! Baby is almost here! :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• does he get outside to play so he can burn off some energy?
    is there a lot of red dye in his diet?
    does he eat healthy or lots of candy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009