• In the Spotlight:

Shakers-is it true they believed in a fully celibate life?

if so how did they plan to stay around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If I remember correctly, I think they did.

I'll have to try to find the book that mentioned it, now....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I believe they did believe that. They died out at one point. I too will have to look it up.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• By recruitment. I remember reading that there's still a few left somewhere in New England, but I don't know if they're still alive - it was a while ago.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yep...and they thought they would adopt orphan children into the community to keep it going. They did adopt some, but most of them left when they reached adulthood.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I just visited the last surviving Shaker community recently. It is located in Maine. There are only 3 members left (two women and one man)! Yes, they believe in celibacy. I don't think they worried about "staying around," because they believed the end was near. They can only increase their numbers through conversions now, but as desert diva mentioned, they used to raise orphans, and some of those would choose to remain when they grew up.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 12:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2009