How do you fight off temptation?

I have the urge to be bad, to gossip and be mean to others. I fight this urge and try to remember how to be a Christian but sometimes I fall. How do you fight the urge to get mad and tell off a mean person?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• well, remember what the bible says...be nice to those that aren't nice to you...Vengence is Mine..sayeth the Lord...I know it's hard. I went through it with someone that was so horrible to my husband. My preacher said in a sermon that we can't take communion if we have hate towards someone...well, I did have hate towards someone. Then, his words came back to me. I won't let my hate for someone prevent me from taking communion. So, I rebuke satan and pray for this person. So, pray for that person..and then move on...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 10:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think about what the end result will be and then decide if it's worth my effort, aggravation, and possible embarrassment.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• There are times when we need to tell people how they make us feel. The Bible says that we are to speak the truth in love. We do need to be very careful how we do that if we know we should. When one is tempted to be bad, quite often the best thing you can do is remove yourself from the situation or from the people who are causing you to be tempted. The Bible says that we are to flee temptation. That just means we should get away from it. The gossip thing is harder for some than for others. The Bible says that the tongue is very hard to control, and that no one has the power to tame it. That one I think is the one we need to always pray about and ask the Lord God through the power of the Holy Spirit to control our tongues and keep us from saying things we shouldn't. One thing that has worked for me when someone tries to tell me gossip is to say to them, "I really don't need to hear this so please don't tell me."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Why fight it? Vent your spleen and prevent a ulcer. Nothing says you can't write it all down in a letter and never send it. Better out than in, I've always heard.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My dad did a lot of writing nasty letters that he never sent...I've always liked that one.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Safirejewl......That was well put, I like that answer.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I pray and get scriptures out dealing with such things and confess them over myself.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 12:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I rebuke those thoughts in Jesus name and i pray and read some great verses i will post a few for you :)
    Happy is the man who doesn't give in and do wrong when he is tempted, for afterwards he will get as his reward the crown of life that God has promised those who love him." JAMES 1 VERSE 12
    And remember, when someone wants to do wrong it is never God who is tempting him, for God never wants to do wrong and never tempts anyone else to do it. Temptation is the pull of man's own evil thoughts and wishes." JAMES 1 VERSES 13 & 14
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created." JAMES 1 VERSES 13-18
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2009