Pagans, can I get your opinion on this situation, please?

I've been asking about working with specific deities for a while now, but the only two I'm feeling extremely drawn to lately are Hecate and Cerridwyn and a few people have scared me when I've told them about that. I don't think they're evil or any of that nonsense, but they are darker Goddesses, correct? Some of the stories I've heard from people who worked with them freak me out, but they're the two I'm feeling drawn to.

What would you do? Do you have any experience working with them? Anything else you want to share?

Thanks!!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do not believe we really get to choose our matron/patron! They choose us. Many will find their Matron through study and thought, but most do not. They find themselves naturally drawn to one spacific God/Goddess and that becomes their Matron/Patron. This can chage through a person's life, it isn't a life time commitment. If you are drawn to these "dark" goddesses there is a reason, and chances are you have been chosen by them, not the other way around! So, don't defy that, just go with it. Every God & Goddess has both "light" and "dark" qualities. It's just the way it is. Don't be afraid to find the light in any of them... If you are chosen by them, it's for a reason, just keep your head up and don't let others bother you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Can you give me more info on Cerridwyn?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think you should do a bunch more research on them. That's where you should start every time you are feeling drawn to a god or goddess. It's kind of like getting to know a person before you call them your best friend, you know? Then, if you're still feeling drawn, start small. Invite them to join you in your circle but don't ask them any specific questions or ask them to participate. They may decide to participate anyway, but just start out with a meet and greet if you know what I mean. Then work up from there.

I have never invited any specific god or goddess to join me, but I hear it can be quite intense (either in a positive, spiritual way or in a scary spiritual way lol).

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Perhaps there is a lesson here that you need to learn. Just what is your fear based on? Instead of offering worship to any God at this point, I'd turn my eye inward and follow the thread of fear so that it's origins are uncovered and it's course is plotted out and let it pass. Fear is a natural reaction and often it needs to be examined and accepted before it fades and one can move beyond it.

All the Gods have a darker side to them. As to your chosen duo, I don't have anything more than a passing acquaintance. Sounds like it's the Dark Mothers that your drawn to. But the thing is about such stories, the Gods teach lessons. Not all lessons are for everyone. Sometimes it's just for those who experienced them. And not all Gods will respond in the exact same way for each person. Your experiences will be unique to your relationship with them.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Hecate, in particular, is a very powerful spirit and is, like Cerridwyn, a feminist. These spirits, or goddesses, protect women and children. I have a spell petitioning Hecate and the few times I have used it, she has brought justice quickly. They are darker spirits, not confined to the "Harm ye none." school of thought. They bring justice by ANY means necessary. If grey or black magic is your forte, these are the perfect goddess figures to use.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Hecate is my patron Goddess. Yea, I have some who do the "Oooo, she is too dark blah,blah,blah" But all in all if you have a connection, then you have a connection. She is a very protective Goddess as well as Cerridwyn. You have to go with what is right for you and that is the beauty of the Earth religions is it is your choice not anyone elses.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• They are both Crone Goddesses...and people fear the Crone. 

Here: 

Halloween and the Crone

and here:

Lady Cerridwen Stew

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• BTW...my Lady is Pele!

Piss her off...she burns your house down!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Don't let other people's prejudices against "dark" goddesses stop you from following your heart. I'm really drawn to Kali myself and she's the goddess of Destruction and Creation... Notice that destruction comes first. You can't have life without death, creation without destruction, light without dark, etc...
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• ^^^^^^^^True that, paganmom05!

You cannot CREATE an omelet without DESTROYING a few eggs!

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2009