recent miscarriage, i have to get another d&c done again. is this common

i just had a miscarriage last week. my doctor recommended i get a d&c done because something did not look right on my ultrasound. 2 or 3 days later i have intense pain in my abdomen and heavy bleeding. i had an exam done today and i guess there is still some tissue in there was not fully removed. and that is what is causing my pain. i was 13 weeks pregnant and they think that the baby dies at 7 weeks. my question is, is it normal to still some tissue or part of the placenta in there that was somehow missed??

fader1018

Asked by fader1018 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it's normal. I also had a miscarriage on the 18th of this month at 12 weeks, 4 days. I doubt the placenta is still there but you can retain tissue which can cause cramping. If you do, you will have to get a D&C.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Some women choose to wait it out instead unless there is hemmoraging or fever or other symptoms of a problem that won't resolve on its own. It's your choice.

I chose not to have any ultrasounds or checks for my 6 week miscarriage in 2007. I kept an eye on myself and waited. That worked for me to let my body heal itself.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I had two miscarriages. My first, my levels were slow to drop. Three months later, the placenta came out. I did not have any pain, however, just heavy "periods" and spotting at ovulation. Thankfully there were no problems as a result of left over tissue but it can absolutly happen.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009