My sons tooth is abcessed!! I need advice and prayer

My son is 3 years old and had an abcessed tooth and his face is swolen on the right side. He had been on amoxicillian and is currently on penacillian because the amox was not working to clear up the infection.I am really beginning to worry because its got a huge lump on the inside of his mouth and it hurts him so bad. He has a denist appt again tomorrow for the 3rd time this month.If the swelling doesnt go down there talking about admitting him to the hospital and giving him IV antibiotics to help it out of his body.I am just freaking out because i dont want it going into his blood stream or anything because that could be very serious. I just need to vent and maybe someones opinion or it you have had a child like this and what did there doctor do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I was young, so I don't know exactly what they did, but I know that my little brother had an abcessed tooth when he was little and ended up being completely fine. I'm sure everything will work out fine, hang in there!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Have they not pulled the tooth? I recently had an abcess and they busted it pulled the tooth and I took antibiotics
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Ask the dentist to remove the tooth while he is in the hospital. Most times, if the child is under 5 and a tooth has to be removed, it is done while the child is under. I hope he feels better really soon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Hmmm depending on what tooth it is and the condition of the tooth they might do a root canal on it and try to save the tooth. You don't want to loose a tooth too early (especially if it is a molar).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I get abcessed teeth almost once a year and have since I was about 8 years old -so for 12 years. I used to go to the dentist and they would lance it and let it drain and it would be gone by the next day. Now, I lance it myself and drain it and its gone by the next day as well.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If it were my child, I would just have them pull the tooth. It will be the most affective way to get rid of the absess because there is obviously some reason that it is there! I dont understand why the dentist would switch from amoxicillian to penicillin considering its the same active ingredient... he should have gone to something else!

I would take him to his pediatrician because there are anti-biotic injections (rocephin) that can be done in the office rather than putting him thru a possibly unncessary IV'd hospital stay
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009