Hes going to drown himself!

So while taking a bath my son (9mo) has started this thing where he puts his face in the water like he wants to drink it. Even when its soapy water. I tell him firmy "No" and pick his head up but he still does it. I distract him with his toys, but he still does it. Any suggestions to make him stop? Does anyone else's baby do this?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get a baby seat he cant lay down in the water or lean in the water :)... my daughter likes to eat bars of soap lol so im sure he will be ok. it might give him a good poop
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son just turned 1 and is in a infant/toddler tub so even if he does try to lean down his head bumps the side before he gets to the water.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• He has a infant tub, which has a little thing for him to sit on, but he still manages to do it.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my son is 16 months old and does that all the time! I cant remember when he started, but it drives me nuts. i just tell him a firm no and distract him with toys. I'm keeping an eye on this post!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• He won't drown.. he might take a drink though. It's actually good that he doesn't mind getting his face wet... I would encourage it! It will make learning to swim so much easier if he isn't afraid of the water. My son is 13 months now and loves putting his face in the water and blow bubbles... he is also learning to swim and is doing better than most 3 year olds because he doesn't mind the water.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son did that for a while right after he starting using the big tub. He got over it pretty quickly, and now he's moved on to trying to climb out of the tub. *sigh*. Just keep an eye on your son while he's in the tub (which I'm sure you do anyway!) You might even let him put his face to the water for a second so he knows what it's like and then maybe it won't be as thrilling lol. GL!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son has been dunking his face in the water ever since he was 9 months old. He thinks it is hiliarious. He still does it at 14 months old. But not as much. As long as he is not inhaling water, I think it is fine. I would just use gentle, tear-free shampoos/soaps, etc. It should not upset his tummy (much) and certainly is not harmful for him to have a sip or two of bath water. I would not allow him to drink large amount, but I wouldn't worry about couple of sips. I've found that my son will repeat a behavior if I react excitably. "NO! Don't do that, that is yucky." etc. If I just ignore the behavior, it gets boring fast. My son likes having an audience to perform for and get reaction from... if he gets no reaction, he quits it. Just keep a close eye on him, and let him be. That's my suggestion. :)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2009