Does walking really help bring on labor?

I went to the Dr. Monday and I was 2cm and 50% effaced. So...I went shopping today and was walking around from about 2-8. I told the lady in babies r us and she acted like I was crazy to be out being 2cm dilated. lol. Well..I went to the bathroom right before I left the mall and I when I wiped I it was thick/clear/mucus looking - alot of it. Could that be me loosing my mucus plug? And will walking really help labor progress?

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It won't help get labor started, but it will help progress it. Since you are already dilated, I imagine that its "helping"...lol.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Not like induction. It helps to get baby's head onto the cervix better, releasing hormones that encourage labor.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Walking is fine, it can help the baby's head get into position. Being dilated doesn't mean a ton (so the lady at Babies R Us can chill), women walk around dilated for weeks sometimes (not to make you feel like you aren't making progress!). The mucus plug looks like snot, and the whole plug (which can come out all at once or in pieces) is about the size of two large cotton balls. However, you have a TON of discharge toward the end of pregnancy, and it's easy to mistake discharge for the mucus plug if you don't know what you're looking for. Walking won't bring on anything your body isn't already ready for.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I know that when I was pregnant, I went walking like there was no tomorrow. It definitely helped a little with my first. With my second, my midwife had me walking around the hospital. It's good for you and the baby, gravity is always a plus =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2009