Should I start my 6 month old on finger foods?

I recently read that he should start on solids about now, but I'm not sure if I should trust that. I let him bite on pretzels, which he loves. And teething cookies. Other than that he doesn't take to other solids well. I don't see his doctor for a few weeks, and I don't want him to be behind. What should I do?

torttia

Asked by torttia at 10:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no set age that babies MUST start solids. They say six months because the studies show that their digestive tracts more ready to digest food than before. If you feel that your baby is not ready, that's fine. Go by his signs, not what anyone else says. Solids aren't needed for nutrition until after a year old anyway. They are only supposed to be for experimenting with new tastes and textures.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No. Not eating solids does NOT make a baby behind. It's actually proven better and healthier to wait. 6 months is the EARLIEST you can start solids. DD didn't start til 11 months and was always ahead on her milestones.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009